AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Suspended for direct linking?!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I was trying to get things rolling the quickest way I knew how. Direct linking. But, I came up against something I don't know how to handle.

I was running ads for clickbank products. It was straight forward, and I picked merchants with good sites and good gravity. The last one I picked even had a separate page in his affiliate tools area for ppc that didn't have an exit pop. So I was trying to play the google game. But they shut me down for "Arbitrage".

All the ads were keyword relevant. I even stated a price in one ad, so people clicking KNEW it was an ad. None of the sites were even close to black hat. They were product sites with sales copy, but not a page full of Adsence links as Arbitrage is described in the Adwords policies. Or, are they just not gonna let us use adwords to promote a page of sales copy anymore? Are they going to require content?

Don't get me wrong here. I consider google the customer. It's my job to bring their visitors a good experience, and that's what I get compensated for. But none-the-less, I have been suspended. And I was only at it for a month! They didn't even give me a chance to learn what they wanted from me, they just notified me yesterday that I was in danger of being suspended, and then did it today.

What do I do?

I know there is life outside of Adwords. But I'm just getting started! I'm enrolled in PPC Classroom and AfilioBlueprint, and I'm really trying to do things the right way! I want to be of value to google! But, I've heard horror stories about google not responding to emails, and refusing to even bother to look in to a matter once someone has been suspended. Is it true? Am I just going to be out of luck here?

Any help would be great.
Thanks greatly for your time!
Brad.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Suspended due to clickbank affiliate and arbitrage

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello BradleyD and welcome to AdWords community;

I do appreciate your passion to advertise using AdWords . However the choice of clickbank , and "messing with the policy", without first learning the affiliate section of the Policy, were bad moves.

Your post is well written, "heart touching", and includes strong arguments. I am referring the case to Google for further review. If Google is convinced, your account will be un-suspended. (But, do keep in mind, that statistics about un-suspending accounts is not favorable...  )

Further reading while you are waiting for Google's answer.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply Moshe,

I read your other post where you said:

"OOHH, "clickbank" .....Had you said at first that you were using links of clickbank - we would have told you immediately the reason: "clickbankdoes NOT ccomply with AdWords policies, and Google bans any links to clikbank, with immediate suspension of the account."

I had no idea.

I have several ebooks stating that this is ok. In fact they teach it. Obviously it was outdated or just plain miss-information. (refering mainly to Google Cash, by Chris Carpenter)

I did read through all the policy that I thought applied to starting up in adwords. I printed most of it too, with plans to get a cup of coffee and a highlighter and read it all. But I thought I understood the basics. I didn't see anything about clickbank, but I might have missed it. I just wish that there was an area that spelled things out a bit clearer I guess.

The 'affiliate section of the policy' that you linked to in your post is one of the the things I did read. But you bringing it up confuses me. As far as I can see, it doesn't apply here. It addressed things like "How is Google AdWords related to my affiliate company" and I'm pretty clear on that.

I guess I need to talk to the experienced people in the communities before doing things.

...what a hard way to learn Smiley Sad

At this point, in the classes I am inrolled in, they're discussing content sites that have affiliate promotions as a second interest. This is the way I want to go, and I would have just deleted my ad groups and started over. But in the email I got warning me about suspension, it stated that pausing or deleting the ad would not reverse the violation. Then I was suspended the next day anyway. (Working a 12hr a day job didn't give me time to react by the time I was shut down.)

Wish I was in these classes before I started with adwords.

Anyway, blah blah blah.

Sorry for talking your ear off.

Just frustrated.

Thank you again for your quick reply my friend.

And thank you SO much for helping me out in this matter.

I'll keep you posted Smiley Happy

Brad.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Brad;

If you run a quick Google search on "clickbank and AdWords", you'll get many links about the history of "relationship" between Google and clickbank...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi BradleyD,

I've passed your issue to the AdWords Support team. Somebody will reach out to you soon. 

Thanks,

Zee
G+

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

BradleyD wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Moshe,

I read your other post where you said:

"OOHH, "clickbank" .....Had you said at first that you were using links of clickbank - we would have told you immediately the reason: "clickbankdoes NOT ccomply with AdWords policies, and Google bans any links to clikbank, with immediate suspension of the account."

I had no idea.

I have several ebooks stating that this is ok. In fact they teach it. Obviously it was outdated or just plain miss-information. (refering mainly to Google Cash, by Chris Carpenter)

Sigh. These ebooks are garbage.  Think about this: If these supposed gurus really knew what they were doing and had techniques to generate cash from Google, don't you think they'd spend their time doing it?  No, instead, the products they sell are information about techniques that either used to work or never worked.  Regardless, they are the ones that make money.  Don't be fooled again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi RBall,

Yeah, lesson learned, for sure.

The sad thing is that I am creating content sites as well.

They just haven't been monetized, because thats not part of the plan right now, so I didn't promote them.

I was really just trying to get experience with the clickbank stuff.

It never was a long term plan.

And now I may not be able to promote my own sites when they are ready.

...hard way to learn.

Zee,

Thanks for your response.

I was thinking about pm'ing you, but didn't want to bother you.

I saw how helpful you have been with others.

I'm wondering something...

Since I can still edit the ads, would it help the review proccess to set up ads that were compliant?

Kind of showing what my intentions actually are?

If just deleting them showed any intent to comply, I would have just done that.

But instead, I editted the ads over and over trying to get them approved.

I was keyword relevant and still got disapproved.

I didn't understand!

I'm sure it looked like I was trying to get one over on google.

But I was just trying to learn the ropes... you know?

*sigh* Smiley Sad

Thanks for the help guys.

Hope to be around, asking you all questions to avoid this in the future.

Brad.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BradleyD
September 2015

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi BradleyD,

I'd suggest to wait for the support team. They will look into your AdWords account, and advice you on a next step. 

Thanks for your patience.

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

K, will do.

Thanks again Zee Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BradleyD
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Well, the verdict is in... and I'm out of luck.

The gall I spoke with was amazing. With all the horror stories going around, I would have expected something different. But instead, she was one of the most pleasant support people I've dealt with in my online experience so far. She spent an entire hour of her time on the phone with me, even after it was really apparent that there was no hope for my account. She proved once and for all, that though Google may be associated with a "bot", it’s still run by real people. I encourage anyone thinking about using adwords to call support from the very beginning. They aren't there just to help with problems; they are there to help avoid them. Check out what you are planning with them before you do it and avoid a huge headache. (Like the one I'm experiencing)

Next, I thought I would share the reason for my problems to help you avoid this happening to you. Suspension is permanent in my case, and it will be for anyone else that follows the business model I was pursuing. 

First: It’s been proposed in this thread that Google doesn't get along with clickbank. That "clickbank does NOT comply with AdWords policies". This simply isn't true. In fact, when I started out, I ran a clickbank promotion that is still approved by Google. It's the other 6 that got disapproved that got me shut down. The difference? When I started out, I went to clickbank in search of a particular product. One I had bought earlier and knew was a good product. The product hadn't sold in years, and was pretty much back shelved by the owner in light of other projects. BUT, like I said, I knew it was a good product. So I ran with it, and made sales. The point is that it had been off the radar for a while. All the updates didn't apply to this site for some reason, though they probably will eventually get it banned as well.

Next: The reason the sites were banned. The site policy they named was "Arbitrage". When I reviewed the policy I couldn't see the way it qualified under that term, because in its most basic description, it didn't. The sites weren't built to get viewers to click on other ads, nor did they even contain other ads. They were ads. And the gall I spoke to said that for a site to be promoting one particular product or service and for that to be the only intent of the site (vs. content) was just fine. The thing it finally came down to as we reviewed each of the sites was the headlines, sub headlines, etc. In particular, the claims being made. See, as marketers we might want to state a benefit in the headline. Or use a number or percentage. This is a "claim" about the product. And Google’s desire is that advertisers back up their claims. Now, one might think that testimonials and a guarantee would do this. Especially since using clickbank is a solid money back guarantee, where they will refund a purchase without even consulting the merchant. But Google wants the site itself to back up this claim. Making outlandish claims requires proof in other words. Google doesn't want a person to be left curious (basically). They want them to be aware of what they are buying (if selling is the point of the site). And here in lies the reason it appears that Google doesn't like clickbank. All the sites, or at least the majority, use 'hype' in the headlines and other parts of the ad. Within the ad, they are making a claim that Google wants proof provided for! Testimonials work, but only to a degree. And you better back up those testimonials with a disclaimer, or they are useless as well. And that's the reason my account is permanently suspended. The sites I promoted are claiming things that Google considers an "outlandish claim", and they want proof. And there is no way I can convince all the site owners to change their sites for me. Several have probably split tested their headlines and copy, and arrived at the best converting page for the product. So why would they? And lastly, ANY web address that you put into your adwords account is locked in for life. I opened my account about 5 years ago, but did nothing with it. I owned a domain that I loaded into my account and never went live with. And when I came back online a few months ago, I deleted it and started fresh. I don't even own the domain anymore, and it was still a factor in my account. It is a parked domain currently, and she said that it's fairly easy to excuse that one. But what if the new owner puts up a harvesting site? Or something scandalous? In fact, if you advertise a url, the only truly safe thing to do is to never lose ownership of the domain! I do see the point. But what a way to learn. Avoid this mistake people! Have control of the site you are promoting!

I also mentioned to her the thought of a probationary period or something to get users that made a bad choice or started up wrong back in the game. She hadn't heard the idea, and thought it was worth pursuing. So she is going to bring it up. So down the road, there might be a way to recover from something like this. Because some of the rules seem a bit hard to understand, and hard to escape. Especially for a marketer. But for now...

Thanks for all the help guys.

And I hope someone that has enough brains to visit this community before they run their first ad can learn from my failure, and avoid getting blackballed before they even get a chance to start.

Brad.