AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Suspended Remarketing lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Our remarketing lists have been suspended and in the no-reply notification we've received the only issue stated was that we are targeting users with "negative financial status".

We have no scoring system on our website and the website form only collects contact data (name, phone number and email address).

The website is www.provident.ro.

So far, from what I've checked, no one else from the financial industry in Romania has received this suspension. This has also happened in our business in Bulgaria, most probably because we have a shared account.

Has anyone else faced this?

Many thanks,

Daniel

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Suspended Remarketing lists

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

I have faced this but not for a financial institution, it was for health and medical related issues.

The policy is here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465?hl=en

I can't really speak to exactly why your list was disapproved. Have you contacted support at all?

Policy decisions are not always clear from an outside perspective. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

We've contacted the local Google AdWords team - currently they're discussing this with the Policy dept. but it doesn't look very promising.

What puzzles me is that I can't find anyone else in the financial industry with this issue.

Thanks,
Daniel

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel,

Keep us posted here as to what you find out, it may be beneficial to other advertisers as well.

While you may not be able to find any, that doesn't mean there aren't any...and you never know how Google will proceed and process these types of reviews. There was one point where "Tech Support" related businesses were being suspended left and right, but it almost seemed to occur in waves...groups of sites being flagged over time rather than an all at once, clean sweep type of system.

Hope it works out for you, unfortunately, sometimes cases like these leave you with no options.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Daniel,

I have no idea why your remarketing lists were disapproved but I find this line in the policy relevant to the loan business :

"Ad content may not imply knowledge of personally identifiable or sensitive information"

Did the text in your remarketing ads imply that your audience suffers from poverty,that they cannot buy a certain object they desire, or that they suffer from lack of financial support ? This would be identifying your remarketing audience with a "negative financial status".

Is your remarketing audience made from people who have completed a credit request form so your audience is targeted because of a sensitive information "they need money" , or is a general audience from all visitors ?

I am sure that your ads were professionally built but I assume that according to google policies the text cannot imply that your audience suffers from poverty even if it is a powerful call to action and I think you cannot target only the audience which has completed a loan request form, because the remarketing list contains only people from which your site has collected sensitive information.

Perhaps Google will allow running these ads again simply if you can change the approach of your customers with a different text.

Direct customer support is your best option to get anything solved in this case.

Good luck !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

None of our ad copy suggested such thing. We've also reviewed them with the local Google team, just to be sure nothing is subject to interpretation .

Our remarketing lists were rather based on the traffic source: GDN, brand, yahoo etc.

People who had completed a contact form were not part of the remarketing lists, as submitting the contact form equals to a conversion on our website. We want to target non-converters, not the people who already submitted their contact details.
So we're doing exactly the opposite, we're targeting people who didn't apply for a loan, therefore we have no information at all on these visitors.

Thanks,
Daniel

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello Daniel;

As Tommy mentioned, there should be no issue with Remarketing list promoting financial services. (Financial services are not considered  a sensitive category)

My view, your suspension is probably due  to a  violation of the financial services section.  I also noticed that you have a pop-up on the landing page.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

The pop-up is something we're testing with a website optimization agency, through their 3rd party platform.
It appears when you mouse over the nav bar, however it's not intrusive, it does not stop you when leaving the website nor it requires any click to do so.

It asks visitors what do they need the money for, when do they need it and if they want to be contacted at a later date.
It is not linked to GA or the remarketing lists in any way.

I've not considered it to be a possible reason behind the remarketing lists suspension.
Do you believe it could be?

Many thanks,
Daniel

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@MosheTLV 

What about the 'Negative Financial Status or situation' section here:  https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465?hl=en

I think that's what is causing the problem here.

-Tommy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What part of the section?
I couldn't find any policy breach as we're not collecting any sensitive data and we don't have any ads that market financial distress.

Thanks,
Daniel