AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Suggestion / Question RE Malware Site Suspensions...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Regarding Adwords' site suspensions for malware, I have a question / suggestion:

I read an awful lot about people complaining that they "don't have" any malware, can't find it, isn't showing up in webmaster tools or any other scans. In fact, this seems to be a HUGE complaint among those flagged.

So why can't the Adwords' robot / spider that automatically scans and finds the malware just as easily INCLUDE what they found (specifically) in the automated email that is sent out to the webmaster being suspended?

Why must a webmaster need to first contact an Adwords rep, who then must check his/her "internal tools," or "escalate" the issue to a tech... etc. etc. before data that the Adwords' spider already has can be made known to the webmaster?

What would that hurt? And wouldn't that make the entire process so much more transparent? And stop the complaints about having to guess what's wrong with one's site, or claims of "false positives"?

If something has caused the spider to flag that website, it should be absolutely no extra work on Adwords part to just include that data in the email! So why isn't that done already? And will you please start doing it?

It seems like a very simple solution to make life much easier for Adwords' paying customers!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Suggestion / Question RE Malware Site Suspensions...

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post! We can most definitely pass this feedback onto the AdWords Policy Team. 

Although a tool such as this does not exist, Google does offer Google Safe Browsing: http://goo.gl/9wlM . Safe Browsing is a service that enables applications to check URLs against Google's updated lists of suspected phishing and malware pages. 

I also find the Help Center article about malware quite helpful: http://goo.gl/p4nDi . It provides the different ways that websites can become infected, and the steps you can take if your website is impacted by malware or malicious software. 

Thanks again for your feedback; I'll be sure to submit it to the Policy Team. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. The problem is that the Safe Browsing service, as with the Webmaster Tools service, doesn't always show the problem either. In fact, most of the complaints I've read (including past ones for our site), where the site was flagged for malware and the webmaster couldn't find any on the site, also scan clean on both Safe Browser and Webmaster Tools (that's why people complain they don't know how to find the problem). But then, when you check with a rep or tech person at Google, they use their secret "internal tools" and immediately tell you what the scan revealed.

Just don't know why those secret "internal tools" couldn't be made available in the email that is sent flagging the site in the first place... It could save a lot of trouble.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Thanks Peter - this is great feedback. Hopefully the Policy Team will be able to take it on board to build more transparent messaging. Thanks again!