AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Subdomains and Multiple Adwords Accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client is franchising his business in different U.S. cities. His franchisees are going to have subdomains of his website, but he wants them to set-up, manage and pay for their own Google Adwords accounts. Can multiple Adwords accounts manage the same domain? What if it is a subdomain? The businesses in different cities (franchises) are not competing because they are local businesses and only relevant to their respective city. What is the best way to handle this? 

Thanks,

Jami

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Subdomains and Multiple Adwords Accounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;
As I understand, the different business location / franchisees will not compete among each other, since their campaigns will be targeted different geographic locations;

However; setting different accounts, targeting  the same domain (or subdomain) might violate the "double serving" section of the Policy;
Please review the "double serving" section, and check whether this type of business can be exempt - my "feeling" from the details you have provided, is that you'll have to keep one account.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I actually called for Adwords support and was told it was no big thing to have two accounts that send traffic to the same site. In fact, there isn't even a verification method for Adwords. I was, however, told that if they compete in the same market, Google will make sure not to show the ads at the same time.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hmmm...interesting...Let me check on that with the Policy team;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
....???

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Actually, it is correct that one website/domain can be associated with multiple AdWords accounts.

The example in this discussion, a franchising organization, is a prime example of one of the cases where this is permitted. 

As long as the different AdWords accounts don't overlap (trying to serve the same geographic territory with the same keywords), there should be no problem.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*