AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Style tag not allowed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Starting to make banner ads in Adobe Edge and having some problems getting my first banners approved. the issue I currently have is that upon uploading Google protests that I'm using a style tag which isn't allowed. Look through the published html and removed a style attribute there which set margin/padding to 0. But still Google says I'm using a not allowed style tag, even when there isn't any style tag present anywhere. What am I doing wrong? What are the basic things I have to do to get my Edge banners approved for Adwords?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Style tag not allowed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, René.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do, as the only HTML5 banners that can be used in AdWords are the ones created with Google Web Designer.

Sorry.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

GWD banner ad contains non-allowed style tag according to Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've recreated a banner in Google Webdesigner. Not sure whether GWD is still the only tool allowed for Adwords, but anyway... My Edge banner didn't get approved, so I recreated it in GWD.

But when uploading to Adwords they still get the same error message. Something about a not allowed style tag in the  html document. Both both Edge and GWD already have style tags in new document by default. 

I could delete all style tags. That would mess up the entire banner, but when that gets uploaded Adwords still complains that I'm using a not allowed style tag. 

What the *%^ do I have to do to get my html5 banner approved? Getting frustrated...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But that's the thing: I totally recreated the banner in Google Web Designer and when uploading it still gives this 'not allowed style tag is used in html document' error message. And a totally blank GWD page already contains many style tags by default. I thought it might help doing it over in GWD. But that didn't work. What else can I do? Am I missing something?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Did you set the right environment in GWD, i.e. AdWords and not DoubleClick?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I chose AdWords. And just completely empty GWD file set for Adwords already contains some 20 style tags by default.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Well, I just checked one of my GWD files, which I've successfully uploaded and used a few months ago and it does have style tags.

Did you try to create a new/blank GWD file and upload it and you got the "not allowed style tag" error?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Follow-up: I created a simple, 300x250 animated banner, with a piece of text moving from the top left to the bottom right corner. The resulting zip contained only an HTML file (no images). Uploaded it to an AdWords account targeting the UK and it passed with flying colors.

Take a look and check the components you may be using (if any). Not all components available in GWD can be used in AdWords, if I remember correctly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm only using the TapArea component, and a few svg files for assets. Nothing more

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Could be enough, though, in case your SVG assets have embedded style information. Maybe those are the style tags AdWords complains about.