AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Strange ad - Is this even allowed?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

I have recently noticed this ad on the UK network:

asa-ad.png

I understand that ASA is trying to help people avoid these sites, but what purpose according to the adwords policies are they filling? This is just like a PSA, which I find strange to be able to be allowed as an ad. The sites is not selling any products or services, it is just informing.

Are PSA`s allowed to advertise on the network? If so, any special considerations to take?

Please help me understand.

Cheers

Stan.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Stanley J,

Though most advertisers are running their AdWords campaigns with the objective to promote their products or services, it is not a mandatory requirement set out for account owners. Your ads do not have to be commercial. As an example, you have the freedom to link your ad copies to any of the pages on wikipedia that are nothing more than informative.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

It looks as a Google grants account to educate users about unsafe online ads

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Strange ad - Is this even allowed?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So it looks. But still it would be considered misleading. I mean, if you are looking for ESTA, and you search on Google, and you click here? I think it is not working it`s purpose as it might make people unsure about what site to visit. Not everyone reads the content. Some people just click the first and best link, and some trust ads more than non-ads.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In general, review sites and landing pages are allowed.  If someone wants to post a third party review of another business and follows policy, it is allowed.  The review doesn't have to be a positive one. This is too funny though Smiley Happy