AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Someone is using my client's YouTube video as an ad - unauthorized

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We were recently alerted to one of our client's videos running on YouTube as a TrueView In-Stream Video Ad. Problem is, we are not running this video as an ad, and never have -- my client has not either. We think that some unknown third party is running it. It would be easy to do so, since when you create a video campaign, all you have to do is paste the URL of a YouTube video in and then you can use that for your video ad.

Has anyone had this happen before? I've emailed legal@google.com as well as the Google rep we had last quarter, no response yet; also had a chat with a Google rep online, they told me to file copyright infringement but that doesn't work for this particular instance since we don't know WHO to file the infringement against -- we've just seen it running as an in-stream ad pre-roll before other random YouTube videos.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you,

Noelle

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Someone is using my client's YouTube video as an ad - unauthorized

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Actually you need to link the AdWords and YouTube account together before you can run any Video Campaigns. Is it possible that somehow this person is using your clients video on their channel vs pulling the video from your client's channel?

PS you have seen it run in stream (click it!) see where it takes you and if not your clients channel/video page then maybe it will take you somewhere where you can find out who is that's up to no good

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Kim, it doesn't appear to be a requirement for AdWords and YouTube accounts to be linked. I actually did a quick test - created a new video campaign in another client's account, found a random YouTube video, put that URL in as my video ad, and it worked - the campaign went immediately into Review mode. And this client does not have any YouTube account linked to it.

I have not personally had the ad served to me, but I definitely will click it if I do see it. We have heard others mention that they've seen it, and then someone (not someone we are in communication with) posted a video clip showing the video ad playing on their mobile device. So I know it's happening but so far haven't had it served to me & be able to click on it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
ah maybe I am mistaken. It might be that you have to do it so that you can see the statistics.

I guess we always do that as a matter of course so I was thinking of it as a required step.

Try to find the ad and continue to follow up with Google it may take them a couple of business days to reply.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noelle H
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes anyone can run a video they don't own.

To block them temporarily switch the visibility of your video to "Private" because Video ads cannot run if the source video is set this way and their ad will become disapproved. Of course the general public won't be able to see your video either until you switch it back to "public" .

Also they could have uploaded your video on another channel and ran in from there and in this case there isn't much to do than to report the abuse to the AdWords team.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We made it private as a temporary solution. There isn't much we can do unless we can actually view the ad itself, then click through to see where the video is hosted and who the perpetrator might be. I spoke with Google about it and they pretty much confirmed this to be the case.