AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Someone is running ads on my website without my permission!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're a small UK charity, and have found that in the last two or three weeks ads have started appearing in the header and footer sections of our website, displaying inline so all our content is pushed down the page.

We have an Ad Grants account, so as you already know, we're not able to display ads outside of the Google Search Engine. These adverts are not coming from us, and are nowhere within our website's code.

I used 'inspect element' to check out the code that's putting these ads there, the data-ad-client information is: ca-pub-1472690565900412. I'm wondering if we can find out who these ads belong to as they are illegally displaying on our site and obviously trying to make money out of it.

I can't edit this code at all, so can't remove the ads myself. However I've managed to set the div id to 'display: none' through our css, which is working to make the ads invisible, although they still show in the page code.

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Any advice gratefully appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hope Support S
September 2015

Re: Someone is running ads on my website without my permission!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Hope Support S this isn't really an AdWords issue.  Although the Ads are from AdWords, there's no way an AdWords advertiser can force Ads onto a site unless the site itself supports them by having the relevant AdSense code in place, and this requires access to your website files.  

There's two possibilities that spring to mind:

#1 - Your site has been hacked.  Someone has discovered the username/password to your site and has made the necessary changes to insert their AdSense code.  To be honest I think this is unlikely as it sounds like a fairly "tame" hack and I would have expected something more extreme.  In any case, you should change your password immediately.

#2 - Your website provider is displaying these Ads.  Some web space providers display Ads as part of their sign-up terms and do so in the manner you describe, so it may be totally legitimate (if unwanted).  Check your providers Ts & Cs.

#3 - Your own computer contains malware of some kind which is causing these Ads to appear.  Again, I don't think this is very likely if it's only happening on the one site, but it's worth checking.

My personal bet would be that it's #2.  You say you edited your CSS to hide the divs, does this mean that you can't see these Ad slots in your actual HTML?  If not, it's almost certain that these Ads are being inserted automatically by your provider.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hope Support S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Hope Support S this isn't really an AdWords issue.  Although the Ads are from AdWords, there's no way an AdWords advertiser can force Ads onto a site unless the site itself supports them by having the relevant AdSense code in place, and this requires access to your website files.  

There's two possibilities that spring to mind:

#1 - Your site has been hacked.  Someone has discovered the username/password to your site and has made the necessary changes to insert their AdSense code.  To be honest I think this is unlikely as it sounds like a fairly "tame" hack and I would have expected something more extreme.  In any case, you should change your password immediately.

#2 - Your website provider is displaying these Ads.  Some web space providers display Ads as part of their sign-up terms and do so in the manner you describe, so it may be totally legitimate (if unwanted).  Check your providers Ts & Cs.

#3 - Your own computer contains malware of some kind which is causing these Ads to appear.  Again, I don't think this is very likely if it's only happening on the one site, but it's worth checking.

My personal bet would be that it's #2.  You say you edited your CSS to hide the divs, does this mean that you can't see these Ad slots in your actual HTML?  If not, it's almost certain that these Ads are being inserted automatically by your provider.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for this very quick and thorough response!

I will check out all these possible explanations and no doubt come to some sort of answer to the situation. I guess I hoped by posting to the Ad Words forum that someone would be able to track down the client information and we'd find the account responsible for this blatant breach of terms.

Really appreciate your time and help, thank you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Hope Support S if you look into my suggestions and are convinced the display of these Ads is not something that should be happening (i.e. it's not done by the web host) then please come back and let us know and we'll see if we can help further.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I came to this page by searching on the same Adwords key. I have ads appearing at the top of many websites (all Wordpress) and they use advertiser ID ca-pub-1472690565900412

This is happening for me in Google Chrome on Mac Yosemite.

I have tried a different machine, and the issue does not appear. I tried Firefox on the same Mac, and the issue does not appear. It looks to me like its a browser issue where Chrome has been compromised somehow, but I have yet to work out how.

If you can confirm you have the same issue, that could help.

@Jon_Gritton given that the OP and I have no connection, could this be a potential breach in the terms of service that Google should look into?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Duncan I @Hope Support S this now really does sound like Malware of some flavour, although it's a little suspicious that all the sites Duncan has seen the problem are Wordpress (as this sounds more like a WP hack).

I'll escalate this problem, but as I said in my earlier reply this is really an AdSense issue, not an AdWords one since it is AdSense that controls the availability of Ad slots on websites and which generates the publisher ID you're both seeing.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

I had the same issue with ads having same data-ad-client (ca-pub-1472690565900412) and a spreading through multiple browser and website over time.

After verification, it's appear that my dns cache was poisoned:

www.google-analytics.com
    ----------------------------------------
    Nom d'enregistrement. : google-analytics.com
    Enregistrement (h“te) : 80.85.86.146

this ip isn't legit and deliver ga.js file corrupted who insert google ad with this data-ad-client.

I solved the issue by flushing my dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns) and clearing browsers cache.

I just don't understand how my dns cache was poisoned...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This works for me, it spread to all sites in about 24 hours.

I cleared my DNS cache on mac with

sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache

and cleared Chrome cache too.

I believe it happened whilst connected to a wifi network I don't usually use. The DNS item would have come from there.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I experienced this issue on my magento website.

After much digging around, I found out that, somehow someone gained access to my magento admin dashboard and inserted some scripts that will display google Adverts on the site.

The scripts were placed in the miscellaneous scripts section of the header and footer as provided by magento. I have long removed the scripts and revoked all malicious user accounts access. The ads are no more showing. Below is the script:

<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- horizontal 3 -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
style="display:inline-block;width:970px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-9478336744099555"
data-ad-slot="5196196229"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>