AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Some Ads by major advertisers are allowed to not comply with Adwords advertising policies - Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a general question regarding one of Google Adwords Advertising Policies.

The applicable advertising policy is:

The display URL in your ad must match the domain users will land on when they click on your ad. For example, if the website you're advertising is using the domain "example.com," your ad's display URL must also contain "example.com."

Requirements:

• The domain of your display URL must match the domain of your landing page URL (after any redirects).

From what I can see, some of the largest advertisers of on-line travel booking sites create a display URL that depcits a subdomain that contains vanity keywords that correspond to what a user is searching for. Thus, the display URL stands out and catches the attention of the users.

However, when I click on the ads they do not reach a landing page on the website with that subdomain (or any subdomain for that matter). 

Therefore, I am wondering why it appears then, that these large advertisers are apparantly able to have adwords ads approved that to my knowledge are in violation of Google's advertising policies.

For example:

I went to Google.com

I searched for: cheap last minute flights

These are some of the ads from very large advertisers that appear to violate Google's adwords advertising policy that madates that the ad's display name must match the URL of the landing page (after all redirects).

Adword's Display URL: www.lastminuteairfare.kayak.com/

Landing page when ad clicked: http://www.kayak.com/flights

Adword's Display URL: lastminute-flights.smartfares.com/

Landing page when ad clicked: http://www.smartfares.com/?cmp

Adword's Display URL: last-minute.tripmama.com/Hotels
Landing page when ad clicked: http://www.tripmama.com/

Adword's Display URL: last-minute-flights.onetravel.com/
Landing page when ad clicked: http://www.onetravel.com/

At one point, I experimented to see if it was allowed to create an ad with a vanity subdomain name that linked to my site's home page like these large advertisers have done (and not a subdomain), and my ad was automatically disapproved by Adwords. 

So I do not understand why it appears that these particular very large advertisers are able to have these ads approved by Adwords and allowed to run. It seems, that these types of vanity display ads give them a marketing advantage?

Thank you,

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JB777
September 2015

Re: Some Ads by major advertisers are allowed to not comply with Adwords advertising policies - Why?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi JB777,

We enforce that the visible and final "site" match.  Usually this is the TLD and the first component of the host name before it, e.g. "google.com".  So a VisURL of laura.google.com would match a final URL of "www.google.com".  The main exception is sites that host content from multiple users.  For example we'd treat "blogspot.com/laura" and "blogspot.com/jb777" as different sites.

> At one point, I experimented to see if it was allowed to create an ad with a vanity subdomain

> name that linked to my site's home page like these large advertisers have done

> (and not a subdomain), and my ad was automatically disapproved by Adwords. 

Do you still have the ad text and disapproval email?  I'm curious about what happened.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JB777
September 2015

Re: Some Ads by major advertisers are allowed to not comply with Adwords advertising policies - Why?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi JB777,

We enforce that the visible and final "site" match.  Usually this is the TLD and the first component of the host name before it, e.g. "google.com".  So a VisURL of laura.google.com would match a final URL of "www.google.com".  The main exception is sites that host content from multiple users.  For example we'd treat "blogspot.com/laura" and "blogspot.com/jb777" as different sites.

> At one point, I experimented to see if it was allowed to create an ad with a vanity subdomain

> name that linked to my site's home page like these large advertisers have done

> (and not a subdomain), and my ad was automatically disapproved by Adwords. 

Do you still have the ad text and disapproval email?  I'm curious about what happened.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the very informative reply to my question. I knew there had to be something that I wasn't quite grasping. Your explanation makes sense. I have learned something new today, and that's always a good thing to do.

I played around a lot with Adwords over the years to learn how it worked. I don't recall exactly when or where I thought I tried to create an ad with display URL that contained a vanity subdomain - I think I did.

In any event, I now know that I this situation does not violate Google's current Adwords terms, guidelines or policies. 

Thank again and have a GREAT day!