AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Solicitors firm demanding that we add negative keywords - can they?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So - my client has received a letter from a solicitors firm demanding that we add their client's brand name to our ad campaigns negative keywords, as when their search includes 'summer school' our adverts appear.

Can they do this? I assume not but be nice to hear what you guys think.

Let me know your thoughts.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jen W
September 2015

Re: Solicitors firm demanding that we add negative keywords - can they

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jen, I can't offer any legal advice on this matter - you'd be advised to speak to your own solicitors I'd imagine.

However, as non legal advice, no, they can't demand that.  Google allows the use of company names and trade marks in Keywords in all situations and countries.  You may even be allowed to use a trademarked term in the Ad Copy, depending upon the exact situation.

You can read more about Trademarks here

I'd say - again, not as legal advice - that it's a bluff.  If it were me I'd reply quoting Google's own policies on the matter and leave it at that.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jen W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jen, I can't offer any legal advice on this matter - you'd be advised to speak to your own solicitors I'd imagine.

However, as non legal advice, no, they can't demand that.  Google allows the use of company names and trade marks in Keywords in all situations and countries.  You may even be allowed to use a trademarked term in the Ad Copy, depending upon the exact situation.

You can read more about Trademarks here

I'd say - again, not as legal advice - that it's a bluff.  If it were me I'd reply quoting Google's own policies on the matter and leave it at that.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon. Just extraordinary really being asked to do this...!