AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Social network for animal lovers, policy recheck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello to all AdWords fans,

I would like to know your opinion, if we can advertise a pet social network http://www.animalca.com/ . Concrete questions :

1) Isn't the site against information harvesting policy? We need registration to identify people, their photos and to communication with then in near future

2) Can we advertise this landing page on eg. campaigns with dog names as keywords and titles, even if they are not directly a part of that page? I think it's relevant to the topic so it's OK

3) Isn't the AdSense block against arbitrage policy?

4) Do you have anything other on your mind, what could put our account in danger, as we advertise it on beginner account?

If you ask about business model - a) invite people to the web, have fun & sell relevant pet products (directly in some countries - we have own dog food wholesase, affiliate in others) b) AdSense and direct advertising.

Photos we have are fully copyrighted, since we are 5 years in ,,pet industry" and have a lot of photo content.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oldřich T
September 2015

Re: Social network for animal lovers, policy recheck

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

So, if this is the goal of your site, add more content about the site and a privacy policy explicitly saying that email may be used to contact users with offers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Oldrich,

I believe your website is ok.

1) Your website primary purpose is not to collect information but to be a Social site. This is more for sites that offer prizes/money to fill out at form

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190438?hl=en#

2) You are free to use just about any keywords you want. The only thing that will be affected is you quality score. I can't say for sure how Google will rank your site compared to breed names.

3) No. It depends what the website main focus is. It is ok if you are making money off of advertising as long as provide unique content. i.e. I go to your website and there are things to do besides clicking ads.
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190442?hl=en#  

4) I think you are good to go. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

My view:  this is a borderline case;

• Add more content about your service, for users who do not sign up; so a user can make a thoughtful / careful decision whether to sign up or not.
  • Add a privacy Policy;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

thank you very much for a very positive feedback. However, please give me a few more minutes, because from what I have seen here in the forums, a lot of accounts has a problem with ,,billing" shorty after the campaign is launched - and I think it's mostly related to websites with non-standard business model (and this is Animalca).

1) The privacy policy is at  http://www.animalca.com/info/, but the link is just in the footer, is it enough?

2) We will add more content as Moshe suggested

3) So you say, there is no problem to create eg 10.000 campaigns with dog names or breeds, and point them all to this easy homepage? Isn't that against ANY AdWords policy? Or, do we need to build it as keywords in FEW campaigns, but definitelly not as an 10.000 different Ad titles to have a better CTR? I understand there might be low quality score, on the other hand, if we will not use side keywords, there can be just a little traffic to receive.

4) Isn't the problem checked box ,, Inform me about important changes" ?

Thank you all, really

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

I would recommend to read the Policy prior to advertising. The Policy is public!

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?hl=en#

You need to systematically verify compliance of every section of the policy. Review and verify compliance of each clause;
Work with your programmer to verify compliance of all other sections of the Policy;
The recommended method is to work section by section, and verify compliance. I agree it is not an easy task;

You are correct that we have found cases in which a billing suspension emails were sent while the actual reason was landing page violation, The reason is not clear. Google was informed on that .

The number of campaigns, keywords etc.. are limited by account limit parameters .It is irrelevant to the Policy:

These are the limits for an AdWords account:

• 10,000 campaigns (includes active and paused campaigns)
  • 20,000 ad groups per campaign
  • 20,000 individual targeting items per ad group (such as keywords, placements, audience lists, and product targets)
  • 300 display ads per ad group (includes image ads)
  • 4 million active or paused ads per account
  • 5 million individual targeting items per account (such as keywords, placements, audience lists, and product targets)
  • 10,000 location targets (targeted and excluded) per campaign, including up to 500 proximity targets per campaign
  • 100,000 active legacy ad extensions per account
  • 1.3 million references to legacy ad extensions per account*
  • 100,000 active upgraded ad extensions per account
  • 10,000 ad group references to upgraded ad extensions per account**
  • 10,000 campaign references to upgraded ad extensions per account**

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Moshe,

thank you for your reply. I can assure you, I have read the terms CAREFULLY, and discussed it with my programmer too. However, we all know that many terms of Google are written so generally, so you can't imagine policy violation directly, and after suspension, this is really too late. So, why am I writing even after reading the terms (again) ?

1) Because I am not pretty sure, if a dog name (Rex) is, by Google, related to animal social network, and could/not be taken as unrelated keywords (as stated in https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190442?hl=en#). I know about campaign or keywords per campaign limits that not the problem, but the campaign philosophy is.

2) I do not know, if  checked ,,Inform me" is against Information harvesting, because they give us right to contact them in exchange for free gift (uploading a photo is free) - as stated here : https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190438?hl=en&ref_topic=1310866# , and it's very similar to Moshe's (your) answer in another thread for example : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approvals-and-Advertising/AdWords-beginner-namedayz-com-w...

Look, I use AdWords for 5 years without any problems - the reason is I always used it to promote own e-shop with own goods, own logistics - that's pretty easy to promote, because it's well known business model, respected on AdWords and another networks. But when it comes to virtual goods (social networks, API's subsriptions, or mentioned topic above, ), it seems that everybody has problems with billing etc. Why I am asking before trying to promote this website is because I want to be really sure it won't shut down AdWords for my long-term business. Can you help me with this non-standard site please, here in the forum, as a payed consultation or anything else?  I just want to be sure and I am interested in TC's different-better opinion, I know policy URL.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again;

It's really good to hear that you have read the Policy. Not may do so prior to starting a campaign (A star for that Smiley Happy)

1. I did not quite understand why using a common dog name / breed as a keyword could be considered a violation?
  2. Correct; - If you are giving a free gift in exchange for collecting personal info (e.g email) - this is a violation. (Though  I did not see on the landing page a reference for a gift.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

1) because I have more than 20.000 dog names. Is it really OK to take 20.000 keywords, that are not available as a content on landing page and target all these campaigns to one, the same landing page? In world of SEO it's called spam usually. I know it's different but just need a confirmation it's OK (then will be the star .)

2) So, by your opinion, is that site able to run on AdWords? We can't transform it into e-shop right now, and we do not sell free gifts to collect emails (I think it's pretty visible)

3) Just a side question for people here around - what if we have privacy policy in shortened version like that : http://www.animalca.com/info/  Even if I have read AdWords policy, I did not find there is a need to have Google-like terms 3 pages long...

Thanks for your effort

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again Oldřich T;

There is some misunderstanding here;

My reply, was from a policy point of view. If you list thousands of dogs names /breeds that don't trigger an ad, that will result in a low QS (low CTR) - this is a "new ball game", not related to Policy. (We can discuss it separately)

When saying "correct" , I meant that your answer was correct - You cannot give a free gift in exchange of personal info, when this is the primary objective of the site. (And I concluded that "collecting personal info" was a primary objective, because you said: "....they give us right to contact them in exchange for a free gift (uploading a photo is free)")

• So the question, in terms of Policy is: what is the goal of your site?

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again Oldřich T;

There is some misunderstanding here;

My reply, was from a policy point of view. If you list thousands of dogs names /breeds that don't trigger an ad, that will result in a low QS (low CTR) - this is a "new ball game", not related to Policy. (We can discuss it separately)

---- I would love to Heart

When saying "correct" , I meant that your answer was correct - You cannot give a free gift in exchange of personal info, when this is the primary objective of the site. (And I concluded that "collecting personal info" was a primary objective, because you said: "....they give us right to contact them in exchange for a free gift (uploading a photo is free)")

---- I understand. On one hand, uploading a photo can be a free gift, other side is our site (I hope) does not look like free e-book download and we need them to log-in to our system.

• So the question, in terms of Policy is: what is the goal of your site?

---- to let people meet people, who are interested in animals, who likes to talk about them, upload and rate their photos, comment them. To have fun, make some money on selling our own goods (currently in 3 CEE countries), ads, and interconnect people with the same dog breed for many reasons. Similar to social networks, or in general, any content site (=group of people), that has some interests and feeling they should try it. Is there anything wrong to promote that site compared to boring e-commerce models?