AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks Policy Proactive Enforeced

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Community Users,

I'd like to imform you on a recent change to the sitelinks policy.

Our existing policy has required each sitelink in a campaign to link to a different landing page. That means a user would have a meaningfully different experience on the landing page from each sitelink. Recently, though, we've noticed an increase in the number of sitelinks created with the same landing page URLs or identical content. So starting today, we are beginning more proactive enforcement of our policy.

For more details on the changes, read the complete post on the Inside AdWords blog.

Thank you!

Zee
G+

Re: Recent Change to Sitelinks Policy

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, i have already read this new guidelines. It helped.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thanks, StructuredPPC. I'm glad you are informed about the change.
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the past, we never used site links...Even though our campaigns qualified for them. A couple of our Google Ad reps asked why on service calls - I simply told them that we are running a very specific promotion and I didn't want to distract potential customers with a different product.

After seeing most of the competition employ sitelinks to the same page, I did the same. (I"ll remove them shortly)

But the point is that we (as advertisers) are supposed be 'specific'. Everything about managing your AdWords campaigns is about drilling down to the most specific keyword and audience you can to increase your Impression Share, Quality Score, CTR and Conversion Rate.

The new site links seem to policy seems to contradict that.

If I'm advertising for a TV, I'm going to say something like '60 Samsung Plasma 3D' in the ad, but I don't want to divert their attention to the Washer and Dryer set, you know?

If I'm advertising auto insurance, I don't want to link to pages like 'About Us' or 'Home Owners Insurance'. 

These changes seem counterintuitive.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I read the blog post and the policy, but can't tell whether it's okay to use sitelinks that point to different search results in my store. I don't have dedicated landing pages for each category, so I've been using search results up until now. Do I need to change that?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I think its ok to point your sitelinks to different search results.

The experience from landing pages should be different from one another. That's the only criteria.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry for almost double-posting here but I found this thread after I submitted the first post (I couldn´t find this one after searching the forums, I found it after a Google-search : )

Anyway, questionsis:
"the landing page from each sitelink"
Does that mean it has to be a different landing page for each individual link cross campaigns?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
No, different Campaign can have same sitelinks.

Just ensure that a sitelink in a campaign has a different landing pages.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the policy stays the same, but the unique landing page experience for each sitelink will be more proactively enforced.

Thanks,

Zee
G+