AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Site suspension frustrations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How frustrating. My ad was suspended due to 'misleading content' on my site. Fair enough, happy to change anything that doesn't comply - it's a new site, a new business venture, we'l make mistakes. Of course, you largely have to guess at the issue as there's no comprehensive guide. I make some changes, resubmit my site. 5 business days later - no reply.

I call - it's issues to do with disclaimers - they're fine where they are, but there needs to be more, and in the same font size and colour as the claims they make. Fine, fixed that. Resubmit site. 3 business days later - no reply.

I call again. This time I'm told there are issues with claims about timeframes for treatment - I need to remove references to hours. Not sure why they couldn't have told me on the last call, but that's fine, I change it (although I point out I can see live ads in the same market with similar claims. Lots of them, in fact, and some sites with no disclaimers at all with live ads). Resubmit site. 3 business days later - no reply.

I call again, yesterday. This time I'm told the disclaimers need to be moved, even though they're not in the footer. I inform them that I was told by one of his colleagues they were fine where they were, but fine, I'll move them. I do. I ask do I need to resubmit again, as I never get a reply that way, I'm told that one of his colleagues has my case open, so it'll get looked at quickly if I do. I resubmit... nothing.

Any chance of any consistency in feedback? I'm not failing to comply, I'm bending over backwards to do so. Contradictory information and not a single email or call in response to my resubmissions is pretty poor service. In the meantime, customer enquiries for a fledgling business have gone from 10 a week when the ad was live to zero.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

We had a similar case a few weeks ago. Though I think I have a sense about the business you are promoting, can you share the URL?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

https://www.seechangehypnotherapy.com/

I actually finally got a call now, and they didn't like the site's tagline 'Be your best'. Again, never flagged before, the ad ran for 10 days with it, but I've removed it now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the last half hour, after making the amends requested, I'm no longer seeing 'site suspended' in my dashboard. It has been replaced by 'Disapproved' in status, and in Policy Details I'm seeing 'Misleading content' (disapproved) and 'Site violates policy' (disapproved) - the latter being a brand new one!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And after another refresh I'm back to 'site suspended'! You can see why I'm getting frustrated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe. Any tips? My ad is still suspended, and the very helpful person I spoke to about 6 hours ago told me on their experts was doing a review and would call me back, but I've heard nothing and my status hasn't changed despite the many changes. Any help greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again @Andrew E

I doubt that your business model will be approved. Hypnotherapy does not fall under the common medical practices for a cure / remedy / healing, hence Google   is unlikely to approve it.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are dozens of hypnotherapy companies with Google ads running - many of them live as we speak (and many committing much worse infractions than we've apparently been suspended for). As long as you have disclaimers that make clear you don't guarantee results, what's the issue? Hypnotherapy has a proven track record of helping many people, and my wife is even invited by local NHS teams to help them with sessions. Google clearly has no problems with Hypnotherapy ads as can be evidenced for a search for 'hypnotherapy London', they just clearly don't want infractions. But when it's not clear what those infractions are, or you fix them and don't get a response, that's the issue.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Andrew E;

I agree,  to a certain extent;

In my view the language of your site  a bit "overplays", and could imply a full cure:

e.g."We are so confident that, after a single session, you will not have another cigarette" OR,"but it can help you stop having panic attacks at the mere thought of climbing a ladder!"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The first example continues with a key caveat that you can come back for free if it doesn't and in the context of a full sentence offers no guarantee (there's also a significant general disclaimer on all treatment pages) the second contains the phrase 'can help' which is perfectly acceptable and in no way implies a cure. It's the exact same phrasing used on medicine which also may or may not work. 'Can help' was already up there but also happens to be the exact type of phrase Google's team told me they were happy with and looking for site-wide. It's also the exact type of phrasing that is on dozens of sites with live ads and in many cases less overplayed. There's a clear lack of consistency on display here.