AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Site suspended and told I'm not useful :'( Can someone please help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I've recently launched my own website and was in the process of setting up my Adwords campaign and received two disapprovals - site suspended and "usefulness". Can anyone help? 

www.ghostsocial.co

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site suspended and told I'm not useful :'( Can someone please hel

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sarah S

It may be due to your one page architecture. All of your internal links simply use a #. I see that when I click them it brings up a css layer, but I'm guessing Adwords bot can't see that when it scans your site.  For example, your email marketing link is hxxp://ghostsoical.co/#.  Almost every internal link in your website appears that way.  You may want to consider creating unique pages like hxxp://ghostsocial.co/email-marketing.html or something similar. 

This could be the issue for usefulness.  Another  reason might be the vague nature of who is behind the site. You don't list a phone number, a name, an address etc.  The who we are page doesn't tell us anything about you. It's just a very vague and generic message about digital marketing.  Perhaps consider revealing more about yourself and what makes you qualified to offer these kind of services.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks for the insight. I thought it had something to do with the page design. As far as contact information - we're a virtual digital marketing agency, all of us are remote and all over the globe. I don't know what I would put as an address unless I used my home address, which I really don't want to do.

Thanks for your help.
S

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

There are several violations on the site. The major violation is the primary goal of collecting personal information. (A pop-up shown a few seconds after  visiting the site, requesting the user's email).

PS: As  @David Kyle already mentioned the content is quite generic, and "vague"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The pop-up can't be a violation. It's through Sumome - I pay monthly for this service and I also have worked with them on a lot of major brands. The primary goal is not to collect personal information, it's to collect leads for people interested in marketing for small businesses.

It would also be really fantastic if you could help without sounding condescending. I worked very hard designing, branding and launching and running this LLC on my own in the last 6 months.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

site suspended:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2780124
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704383

usefulness:
"Promotions or content that are unnecessarily difficult or frustrating to navigate
Examples: Websites with pop-ups or interstitial ads that interfere with the user's ability to see the content requested; " --
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021546

data collection and use:
"... nor collect it for unclear purposes or without appropriate security measures.
Examples of user information that should be handled with care: full name; email address;"
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6008942
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020956

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sarah S

I don't think anyone is being purposefully condescending. @MosheTLV shared with you the facts in a very frank manner. He answers a lot of questions here, and just simply doesn't have the time to sugarcoat everything.  He's actually a very nice guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him at AWCS2014.

A few things:

1) The fact that you are a "virtual company" and have people all over the globe is a problem. I'm sure your intentions are good, but if there was ever a problem you could essentially disappear.  There needs to be accountability for online advertisers.  With your current setup there is none. It's too easy for scammers to create these kinds of sites, disappear with people's money, and then create a brand new site and do it all over again. Again, I'm not saying that is your intention, but with the vague nature of your site, it seems Google would rather err on the side of caution.

2) Paying for pop-up software does not mean it's not a violation. Pop ups are pop ups, and they are against policy when it comes to landing pages.

3) I'm sure you have worked very hard, but there's more to it than that. If you want to advertise on Adwords you have to comply with the policies.  These policies are for all advertisers, and they are designed to keep Google search users safe.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1. A good percentage of startups - 99% of everyone I work with in WeWork spaces in NYC and Chicago are "virtual" companies. Meaning their team is 100% distributed and remote. This does not affect liability in any way. I am an established company, that has employees and pays taxes. I think that every monitor on this channel takes too much liberty assuming everyone is trying to launch some internet scam.

2. SumoMe is not "pop-up software" I used them when I worked at L'oreal and Estee Lauder. I've also worked with Magento that provides a similar eCommerce solution. They are not against policy - I use them and fill them out all the time.

3. I deeply thank you for thoughtful, objective insight and wish you many stars and likes in the future. The world is truly a better place knowing that you are keeping Google safe.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi @Sarah S

I would normally not weigh in on these kind of topics because you have had great advice from the experts... but you have now been critical of both @MosheTLV and @David K

Moshe gave you the answer...or at least, the most likely answer and the first place you should look to try and fix your site to overcome the suspension.

David tried to explain Google's thinking behind the policies.

You chose to call Moshe condescending and then proceeded to be condescending to David. For the record, David did not say that the policies are to keep Google safe, but that Google do this to keep their users safe - that's an important distinction.

Please remember that you reached out to the forum looking for advice. Great advice was given. Just because it's not exactly what you wanted to hear doesn't change the quality of the advice offered.

It is, frankly, irrelevant whether or not you are a legitimate company (I am sure you are), nor does it matter that SumoMe is. What matters is that your site has been suspended, and unless you make some changes it will not overcome the suspension. Surely this is the objective here.

In any event, I would ask you to show more gratitude to those forum members that offer help and assistance for nothing more than the good feeling they get from doing so. I can assure you that they are not motivated by stars and likes as you assume.... and certainly Moshe and David deserve better.