AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Site suspended and policy team requests are getting ridiculous

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My site (and my business) got suspended by the policy team for the third time and their requests don't make any sense anymore. Posting this to ask for an opinion from more experienced members here.

First I will write about the site's history on Adwords as I think it is important. Started this site (and business) a little over a year ago. The site is in the mobile apps review/download niche. After couple of months the site and the campaigns started to get traction and everything was going well. Then the first site suspension came. Through a VERY helpful and knowledgeable guy from the support team, I managed to work out what policy team thought is wrong and made all the required changes. After 3-4 weeks of back and forth with review/policy team, the site got back up and running. Of course having gone through that I was confident everything is well so I started to scale up and invest more money into the business.

Everything was well until end of May when after I spent low 7 figures on Adwords with this business and site, the second suspension came. I managed to get in touch with the same guy from support and one of the policy team' requests was to change the ads text so it doesn't contain the word "download" , because my site is more about reviewing the apps (even though my site DOES offer and help people download the apps they are looking for). I accepted their requests even if I thought its not fair and the site was up and running again. 

After testing different ads to help bring the performance back again I came to the conclusion that we really have to use the word "download" (and thats mostly because our competitors who stole and are using our exact business model are allowed to use ads containing the word "download"). After a bit of work on the site we brought the focus of the website to downloading the apps, and the review part as a secondary part of it. We called support to ask if we can use ads with "download" again now that the site is focused on downloads, and they said yes, we can use it.

So, we started to use them again and as expected the campaigns performance went up again. 

All good until one week ago when the site got suspended AGAIN.

And again after addressing some small issues , policy team are saying we cant use the word "download". But now they asked us to create ads without download , and more about review, and also to relocate the download section on the site to the bottom becuase it will be confusing for the users.

So basically the policy team first they say my site is about reviews and to change the ads and then they admit that the site is about downloads, by asking me to remove the downloads section.

I do apologise about the long and possibly lack of sense in my post but I feel I am being targeted by the policy team and I am "a bit " frustrated right now, and any advice or outside view can help.

I told the person from support in charge of my case that I will not accept to be bullied like this and probably I will seek legal advice in the following days.

Cheers,

Paul

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site suspended and policy team requests are getting ridiculous

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
What was the reason for suspension mentioned in the email received from Google? (Look for this email - it is the key for understanding the issue)
Please share the URL of the site suspended.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. In the email the reason is Ads- Capitalisation and Sites- Missing Information. In the account under the policy section it says Misleading or Unrealistic Promotions.
Anyways, after a lot of back and forth through support , the only thing that bothers policy team is the ads text and the download section of the landing page. Basically they first told me to remove "download" from the ads as the landing page is not about downloading the apps. I change the landing page structure to bring the focus on downloading the apps (first thing the user see is a section where they can download the app they want), and now they are telling me to remove the downloads section as it will not match the ads without the download words (which they told me to do because my site is not about downloads).

I will try to explain better the situation with an example, hopefully it will make more sense.

Until May when the site got suspended the flow was like this:
Adwords ad "Download App X Free from MySite.com" ---> user was taken to a page on mysite.com with a review of said app and the option to download it at the end (link to app stores)
Policy team came around and said mysite.com is NOT about downloads and is more about reviews so I have to remove "download" from ad text. I did that but after lots of tests I realised we need "download" in ad text. I then built a special section on the page which was focused on downloading the app, called support to ask if we can now use again ads with download in them and was said YES we can , becuase the focus is on downloading the app now.

Site got suspended again because AGAIN policy said site is about reviews and not downloads and I have to change the ads again (even though support gave me the go ahead)
Now policy wants me to do something like this:
Adwords Ad "App X Review on MySite.com" ----> and because the ad is about reviews they said I have to move the downloads section to the bottom so the user doesn't think my site is about downloads.
So basically first they told me to drop download from ad text because the site is a review site and now that the site is a downloads site i have to modify the site to be a review site because they want the ads to be review ads.
I know it doesn't make any sense Smiley Sad , thats why I just gave up trying to deal with them and looking at alternatives such as legal advise or someone from Google who can make some sense.

I would prefer not to share the website URL and it shouldn't make any difference to be honest. Everything else on the site is fully compliant with Adwords policies.

Paul

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please try to follow me. We have covered thousands of suspension cases. Please follow with the methodology developed for Policy cases, if you want help getting into their root cause
Again, as I mentioned:
Please copy her the suspension emails (all of them) received from Google. Remove / Mask any CID or other personal info from those emails.
Please share the website URL
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Here is the email received from google (all 3 are exactly the same, word for word)

"Here are some ads and/or sites that violate our policies. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and serves only to illustrate some of the policies that your ads and sites have violated.

Sites:

Date of violation: 2015-08-26
Site: *mysite*
Policy violation: Missing information
Details & instructions: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020955#364

Ads:

Date of violation: 2016-03-14
Example Ad: *link to Adwords dashbord (not a specific ad)*
Policy issue: Capitalisation
Details & instructions: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704381?hl=en_GB

If you believe that there has been an error, then we want to help. Find out how to contact us by visiting: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact (you will see our available support channels and hours listed here).

Your sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team"

I understand you want to check the site to make sure everything complies with Google's policies but as I said I am not comfortable sharing it on a public forum (I can do it privately if thats possible). The site have been reviewed by the policy team and everything is fine (they said that) except the part with the ads pointing to it being somewhat irrelevant .

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The site is in violation!  This is clearly mentioned in the email. Thus, you have a landing page / site violation. So, I disagree with your stand  that the site is "fine". If the site was in compliance, the account would be reinstated.
Only if the site is fixed the account will be un-suspended (if a fix is feasible)
Hence, without sharing the site, we cannot help. Hundreds of advertisers have shared their site on the Community. (You can type URL  without linking directly). I understand your concern, but this is a community of volunteers: the nature / goal of this community is sharing knowledge and cases among advertisers. (Current ones and future). As volunteers, we cannot offer any offline help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, some updates, after a long talk with the person from support who is in charge of my case, she said the policy team said I am not allowed to use "Download App X" in the ad text if the app advertised is not mine, even though I have been allowed to do so for more than a year and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of advertisers doing exactly the same thing (especially sites like ask.com that only take users to another search results page filled with ads and bring ZERO value)
This is just ridiculous .