AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Site banned for controversial content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Our AdWords account was suspended several years ago because we advertised a website which Google determined was advocating against a group. The site was about Israeli politics, contained thousands of articles, and would certainly have some pieces unfriendly to the Arabs. 

The thing is, that is a very large site, and we’d love to use it with AdWords dynamic ads, which are a perfect solution for such sites.

Since AdWords traffic can be huge, we don’t even mind removing the articles which Google considers as violating its policies. The problem is, we have no way of knowing which articles exactly have raised the moderator’s ire. Is there any way of reinstating the site in the AdWords and then, if there are complaints, to switch off the particular pages?

Another reason for the ban was the site’ dealing with controversial topic (it was called ‘controversial content’ or something like that). Controversy, of course, is there, since the site debates hot political issues. That violation might not be healed by removing several pages.

Is there, therefore, a solution which would make the site acceptable to AdWords, or should we leave the problem as inherent?

Please consider that banning our site is somewhat unfair, since such approach automatically promotes ultra-left dovish political positions, which are the only ones acceptable for AdWords at this time.

Thank you,

Dan

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site banned for controversial content

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi danny1961 and welcome to the Community.

I can't really see any likelihood that Google will be able to point to individual articles out of "thousands" - perhaps especially if the original suspension was several years ago.  I would imagine your only option would be to go through these articles yourself - I would hope as the site owner you'd be able to identify yourself which articles might be considered "anti" and which not.

I don't really see how Google is being unfair.  The "anti" policy applies to all people and groups equally.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, that cannot be a solution. Let's say, we weed out 20 articles we imagine are suspect to Google. Then there can always be a 21st article for which we will banned again - and we are not even notified, which article that is. That leaves us guessing forever.

One option, perhaps, would be to run dynamic content ads on highly innocent sections of our website, but would Google then apply its 'anti' policies to that particular section or the site as a whole?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I agree with Jon on this issue; A specific article should not be  the cause for a suspension. Google advertising bots (to my understanding) do not crawl each single page of (site) content. They look at the overall theme / content of the site, and also check for specifics  for a given "theme". (e.g. In a site that its theme is financial services, the bot should find a clear privacy Policy).

Sensitive  issues (that is the proper name of the Policy section), are not allowed to be advertised. Google does not disclose the list. Needless to say, that  topics constantly change. (e.g  protesting a  G20 summit; Nuclear proliferation...etc...). If your site was banned for  violation of the "sensitive issues", it would  probably be (still) banned.

PS: How did you figure the Policy clause that was violated? (This info. is NOT disclosed to users)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We received a clear notice from Google listing the purported violations: advocating against a group, sensitive issues, and there was one more, don't recall what was it.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

And since then; has there been a change in the site's overall theme / topics/ subjects?

If the answer is NO - I doubt it could be un-suspended. (The site must  fully comply with the Policy, before you can appeal for un-suspension.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’