AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Selling ipad/iphone covers/cases

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know any way to do advertise my site, which sells these? Google didn't let me ad through because of a "trademark violation", and their Indian tech support is worse than useless!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LK (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Selling ipad/iphone covers/cases

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 6
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Agamemnus, 

What you can do in this scenario depends on which countries you want to advertise to. 

If you are advertising to the US, Canada, UK and Irleand then you can try using the Trademark Reseller & Informational Policy.  This policy allows you to use trademarks in your ad copy provided that your landing page is deemed to be for reseller or informational purposes. To qualify for this your landing page must heavely focus on the trademark terms, there must be information given about the trademark terms and this should be the main focus of the page. 

If you are advertising to different countries, then you cannot have a trademark term in your ad text without the trademark owners explicit permission. If you know the trademark owner you can ask them to give you permission by filling out this form on your behalf. 

Finally, I must strongly discourage you from following Konvut's advice about using a different letter or symbol as part of the trademark term. This is in violation of our text maniplution policy. If you get three ads disapproved for this policy you would find yourself permantently suspended from AdWords and any future accounts you openeded could be suspended too. It's simply not worth the risk. 

I hope this helps. 

Ita

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, agamemnus!

You can write some letters in different language (ex. iPаd, letter а is written in Russian)

You can use keyword insertion, instead of writing word "iPad" in your ad. Sometimes it works.

But remember, that you still will be under "trademark violation" and your ad will be shown for a while. 

You need to accept such rules. Notice that your competitors can't use these words too Smiley Happy 

Use your mind to create Ads without using "ipad" or "iphone"!

For example, you can use words "Apple tablet", "Apple phone" etc.

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you type in "iphone cases", there are hundreds of adverts. There must be some way they are getting around this BS.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Agamemnus,

US advertisers might be exempt in certain cases which are strictly stipulated by Google. I am unable to link you to the particular Help file right now because the Search function does not work currently. Anyway, chances are the ads you see on the search results page are compliant while you aren't.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi agamemnus,

Ipod, Ipad, Iphone are the tramark terms for Apple and a user cant use these terms in the ads in Google. If you want to advertise you have to use the generic ad copy without TM terms or you have to contact Apple TM manager for the Ads approval. Once their approval you can use the terms in Google but it is very difficult to get an approval from Apple to advertise their branded terms.

Raghu

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LK (Google Employee)
September 2015

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 6
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Agamemnus, 

What you can do in this scenario depends on which countries you want to advertise to. 

If you are advertising to the US, Canada, UK and Irleand then you can try using the Trademark Reseller & Informational Policy.  This policy allows you to use trademarks in your ad copy provided that your landing page is deemed to be for reseller or informational purposes. To qualify for this your landing page must heavely focus on the trademark terms, there must be information given about the trademark terms and this should be the main focus of the page. 

If you are advertising to different countries, then you cannot have a trademark term in your ad text without the trademark owners explicit permission. If you know the trademark owner you can ask them to give you permission by filling out this form on your behalf. 

Finally, I must strongly discourage you from following Konvut's advice about using a different letter or symbol as part of the trademark term. This is in violation of our text maniplution policy. If you get three ads disapproved for this policy you would find yourself permantently suspended from AdWords and any future accounts you openeded could be suspended too. It's simply not worth the risk. 

I hope this helps. 

Ita

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"Finally, I must strongly discourage you from following Konvut's advice about using a different letter or symbol as part of the trademark term. This is in violation of our text maniplution policy. If you get three ads disapproved for this policy you would find yourself permantently suspended from AdWords and any future accounts you openeded could be suspended too. It's simply not worth the risk."

I totally agree with you Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

> If you are advertising to the US, Canada, UK and Irleand then you can try using the Trademark Reseller & Informational Policy.

That doesn't actually give any instructions on what to do.

> This policy allows you to use trademarks in your ad copy provided that your landing page is deemed to be for reseller or informational purposes. To qualify for this your landing page must heavely focus on the trademark terms, there must be information given about the trademark terms and this should be the main focus of the page.

Eloel, I'm trying to advertise my zazzle designs. Oh well, multi-billion dollar company fail.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The story continues...

Ok, so I used keywords like "apple phone covers", and I finally spent the $100 adwords gift card. No surprises as to the results. Just like when I spent $25 of my own money, I got 150 visitors from 45K page views, only about 5 of them were legitimate visitors, and no sales.

The rest were bots which I "paid" for: Google Analytics is showing that 140 visitors had an average visit duration of 1 second and 147 page views total. (The average visit duration for all the 150 visitors was about 7 seconds.) 95% bots!

I had 5 possibly legitimate customers who left after 7 seconds, or just 5 slow bots.

0% effectiveness.

I am truly amazed that Google is still in business.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
As a company that provides repair for Apple products and been using Adwords , I can tell you that Adwords approval system for using trademark keywords is HORRIBLY broken and nonfunctional. The people that you contact for support (their so called account experts, rolles eyes) at Google are extremely under trained and basically clueless when it comes to helping you with this issue. You are basically on your own and Google doesn't care enough about small businesses to really do anything about it. You can see thousands of repair shops that are not authorized by Apple (and none will ever be) that use words such as iPad, iPhone, MacBook, iMac, etc in their ads. The very keywords that Adwords has marked as trademark violations. Yest somehow by some magic, some of these ads gets approved and some don't.

For over sever years I have been creating ads with the wordsd iPad, iPhone and MacBook for our repair company (DFWTechServices, DFW-PC-Repairs). Every time I created an ad, the system would first kick back and say I am using trademark keywords. My ads would get disapproved but then magically, a few days later or few hours later, my ads would be working. Sometimes I would call or get on chat support and I would hear the same old stories. My ads are using trademark. blah, blah, blah. They basically would either read off some sheet of paper or email their trademark copy written by some lawyer.

Recently, with the introduction of extended headlines, I no longer can create an ad with those words. Now my actually gets approved, and says, Approved (limited), as it has always been in the past, but it no longer triggers any impression or shows in search. In the past it would say, disproved, Now it says approved but it doesn't show.

Yes the system is horribly broken and no one at Google seems to care enough to look into this. I have basically given up.