AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Same Trademark Names

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, We are a real estate construction company based in Bangalore India. The name of our company is Renaissance Holdings Pvt. Ltd. We decided to use adwords to generate leads for our new upcoming residential project Renaissance Nature Walk. These are ready to move row houses for sale by the developers and not agents/brokers. Our ads are getting disapproved due to the usage of trademark name Renaissance. When our legal team looked up and did some research "Renaissance" is a trademark word by Marriot group of hotels. We also looked up on the specifics of trademark for Renaissance hotels and found they have a trademark under international class 041 - Education; providing of training; entertainment; sporting and cultural activities. Here is a link for reference - https://trademarks.justia.com/862/96/renaissance-86296073.html.

I have been trying to get in touch with google through various means to fix this. We are no way connected to Renaissance Hotels by Marriot. We are Renaissance Holdings Pvt. Ltd under constructions and real estate class and Google should consider this and let us advertise our name. Can anyone from support please respond.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Same Trademark Names

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Aarthi K,

This is an open forum and not the right way to contact Adwords. If that's what you wish you need to find the cogwheel in the upper right of your AdWords account and click HELP under it.

I am not 100% on board with the current status quo, however, it seems you need to do this:

"The trademark owner will need to authorize your accounts. For help finding the trademark owner’s contact information, please" refer to the form linked to below:

***   3rd Party Authorization Request   ***

https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmauth

In other respects, please refer to:

***   Trademark help for advertisers   ***

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562645?hl=en

Honestly, I am not too much satisfied with the above said and with the documents that I found for you. In your situation chances are I would prefer seeking professional advice from a legal practitioner. You should argue that you are geographically different than the trademark owner and so are your industries. (However, that's far beyond the scope of this community and my expertise.)

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Same Trademark Names

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Aarthi K,

This is an open forum and not the right way to contact Adwords. If that's what you wish you need to find the cogwheel in the upper right of your AdWords account and click HELP under it.

I am not 100% on board with the current status quo, however, it seems you need to do this:

"The trademark owner will need to authorize your accounts. For help finding the trademark owner’s contact information, please" refer to the form linked to below:

***   3rd Party Authorization Request   ***

https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmauth

In other respects, please refer to:

***   Trademark help for advertisers   ***

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562645?hl=en

Honestly, I am not too much satisfied with the above said and with the documents that I found for you. In your situation chances are I would prefer seeking professional advice from a legal practitioner. You should argue that you are geographically different than the trademark owner and so are your industries. (However, that's far beyond the scope of this community and my expertise.)

Best,

Lakatos

Same Trademark Names

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Lakatos,

Thank you for the quick response. However, we don't need an authorization from the trademark owner as we are a different company ourselves but share the same name "Renaissance". They are Renaissance Hotels and we are Renaissance Holdings and we have nothing to do with hotels. We want to advertise our residential real estate homes and I would like to know the procedure to let Google know we are a different company with the same name. The reference link I shared has the details of trademark class the Renaissance hotel holds and nowhere does it say real estate or construction related.

I sincerely appreciate your response and the links, but I would like to keep this post open until I find the right response to fix this trademark issue.  

Thanks again.

Aarthi

Same Trademark Names

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi,

I agree with @Lakatos, the same term can be registered as trademark by different companies if they offer different services but I am not sure in the companies offer similar services.

And in your case, there are 2 different categories(Hotels and Restaurants while your comes under Building, Construction and Repair.)

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Same Trademark Names

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Archit,

Are you suggesting we register our construction company with the same name "Renaissance" as a trademark? and will Google then realize we are 2 different companies?

Thank you for response.

Aarthi

Same Trademark Names

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi @Aarthi K,

To use the already registered trademark term in AdWords ads, you need to take the authorization from the trademark owner. No, matter what services they offer but you are not allowed to use that term in the ads.

If you are not a trademark registered with that term then I don't think you will get any benefit of using that term in your ads. Create headlines related with your keywords/services and use your CTA, and offers in the description.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Same Trademark Names

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Aarthi K,

There seems to be some discrepancy between how national registration offices and how PPC work, and unfortunately it is not particularly in your favor. Google's policy is clearly based on a "first come, first served" principle and there seems to be no way for you to challenge it, unless you comply with the links posted above. (Maybe it does not seem just and fair to you, however, I also appreciate that Google does not wish to get involved in trademark disputes and prefers to stay on the safe side.)

I am not sure about whether or not there is a legal way (outside Google) to achieve your goals, like e.g. registration. That's why I told you that I'd try seeking legal advice. Note that me and @Archit are not lawyers and therefore our posts do not represent professional advice, but our best educated opinion.

Best,

Lakatos

Same Trademark Names

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Lakatos. 

I spoke to someone from adwords support today, they will get to me later today with a solution. Will update the post here soon after.