AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Sale of free items is not allowed by Google and I find the policy can

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello community,

Need some feedback, thanks :-) 

Sale of free items is not allowed by Google and I find the policy can apply a lot of industries since free items include any government service (To Google a government changing a fee to file an application is still free). Our business is a legal center based in Toronto, Canada, we are fully regulated by a licensing board. We have our licensing board logo on our homepage. We offer a few services that are not covered, they are UK Passport, American visa appointment and ESTA (that we removed and was mostly information based).

I don’t think free government service apply to the legal industry. (1) we are already regulated (2) no service that we offer is free by the government, but I find the Google policy vague on this point (3) I have yet to meet anyone in my industry that has faced this problem on their website, and I have looked with great care.

Solutions and questions

1. Should I remove all service not covered by my licensing board and would Google policy team even care?
2. I ask someone at Google why lawyers don’t face this problem and I was told because they give legal advice. Does not my firm fall under the same umbrella?
3. Having trouble getting a straight answer from the Google team. What are my options to work things out with Google? How can I communicate with that will give me a straight answer?

This issue has started May 4th and the policy team refused the changes we make up to this point.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sale of free items is not allowed by Google and I find the policy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

You can offer paid service in assisting filing with of regulatory / government bodies / institution; However; this service has some limitations and restrictions.

Have you read the relevant section of the Policy?

-Moshe

PS: As for the licensing board . This is relevant only if being a member is required by Canadian law (i.e. A license is required to provide the service in Canada); In other words; in addition to Google Policy requirements you (obviously) must follow any local law applied in Canada.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Hi There!

We are also in the same boat... We offer Immigration Consulting and by no means such consulting is provided by free.. When i tried explaining it to the Google adword team, they are unable to understand this..

What is the solution??

Can we bring this to the attention of google management??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV or anyone in the community

There are two related policies I have read:  https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176072?hl=en# and https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/189033?rd=1#. If this is not what you are referring to it would be a great help if you sent me the link.

At the moment I have a big red italic statement on top of my website that states  [firms name] is a private company. We are not the government. All application forms can be found for free on the relevant government websites. Applying with a private company such as [firms name] entails service fees in addition to the fees charged by the relevant government agency. [firms name] will review, finalize, and submit all applications". 

We hope this will suffice Google’s policy team. Any feedback on the steps we have taken? 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I cannot comment without looking at the site;

Pleas share website URL

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, 

Please excuse the look we are going through a major overhaull www.immigroup.com.  Also talk a quick look at any service landing page, you will find we are extremely open, we talk about “do it yourself [using the government]”, you can download any government application for free. 

George 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@George L;

I will ask Google to review the case.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, 

I am doing this on my end as well. So far nothing is going right and I started this May 2 and the last review started May 14.  4 business days going on to 5 and counting. 

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi George,

I have run into the exact same issue as yourself recently apart from we have been offline since the end of April.

There are some changes coming that means that you will no longer be able to advertise ESTA visa services on AdWords. I would imagine it's a bit of an extension to the "no added value" section of the sale of free items policy.

If you have ESTA services/information on your website (even if you are not selling it as a service) you may not be allowed either. I'm not 100% sure on just having info yet but will let you know if I find out.

You mentioned that you had removed the ESTA information but on http://www.immigroup.com./us-visa-appointments you have quite a bit of information on it as well as a start now button, print application button & then the 4 ways you can start your services header.

If you removed that page or at the very least removed all your calls to action and linked directly to the government site (CBP) with a big prominent link, that may be enough, BUT like I said, I'm not 100% sure on the information pages so we need more information to know what we're meant to do.

If it were me, I'd just remove those pages completely so you can maybe get your ads back online and when we know more, make the necessary changes to those pages before putting back on your site.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but hopefully it will help you a bit. Keep us in the loop on how you get on as I'm in the same boat as you

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

Amazing piece of information. ESTA is only for people who are from a list of about 30 countries (Europe mostly). This visa appointment service you linked to (http://www.immigroup.com./us-visa-appointments) is only for permanent or temporary residents of Canada; it’s nothing like ESTA. It costs $160 through the government, and it includes lots of paper work and supporting documents and an interview at the local Canada-based American diplomatic mission.  

I have emailed my contact at Google to let her know this so the policy team will know as well. I also put “This is not ESTA” on that landing page. Also, Canadians don’t need ESTA; there is an agreement between Canada and the US where Canadian citizens are treated as a special kind of non-immigrant.

I need to hire an AdWord community top contributor to help me. I will email you and MosheTLV.

P.S. I am also wounding if we have gone to far by putting that red statement on our pages that makes our website look like a nuclear power plant at the moment. But I will not take it off right now but later I will communicate with the policy team. The only problem with that is that in the past when I asked to have something reviewed they said no, we will tell you if something is wrong. Well great that usually turns into weeks of lost business due to them not calling just acting. I am wondering if you know of a better way?  

George