AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Risk of a possible suspension due to previously banned domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My account is in good standing right now but I'm worried that an expired domain that I registered could be adwords banned.  When I search Archive's WayBackMachine, it seems that the site was hacked or defaced for over a year.  It's a pretty good domain name so I do want to use it.  Do I run the risk of getting banned if I set up a website on the domain and start advertising it on Adwords?  What exactly happens if the domain is banned?  Does an error message pop up saying that the domain is banned or does my Adwords account get suspended?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John S
September 2015

Re: Risk of a possible suspension due to previously banned domain?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Usually, banned domains are attributed to the account in which the violation was carried out / initiated / initially happened. Now, the previous owner of the domain either fixed it (to get his account un-suspended) or abandoned the domain - and still have an account suspended (until the domain fixed)

I wouldn't take the risk - since if the domain is banned, either the system would not allow  to  promote it (the "simple case"), OR you could find yourself explaining to Google that there had been a previous violation, at a time you did not own/ control the domain. This could be a lengthy process... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John S
September 2015

Re: Risk of a possible suspension due to previously banned domain?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Usually, banned domains are attributed to the account in which the violation was carried out / initiated / initially happened. Now, the previous owner of the domain either fixed it (to get his account un-suspended) or abandoned the domain - and still have an account suspended (until the domain fixed)

I wouldn't take the risk - since if the domain is banned, either the system would not allow  to  promote it (the "simple case"), OR you could find yourself explaining to Google that there had been a previous violation, at a time you did not own/ control the domain. This could be a lengthy process... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’