AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Review Extension Approval Limited for "Unknown Policy"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So this isn't actually for an ad, but for a review extension. I'm showing limited approval. The review is a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. The policy listed is "Unknown Policy (TripAdvisor)". I have no idea what this means, or in what way my extension will be limited with this policy limitation. It's not like Trademark where it's clear what the limitations are. Anyone know? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Review Extension Approval Limited for "Unknown Policy&

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Garret,

Last time I checked Adwords did not allow advertisers to use reviews from websites like tripadvisor since they are user based reviews. Review extension only approved third party reputed company reviews.

So I'm not sure how tripadvisor review got approved at all here ( Unless this policy has changed now)

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Garrett N,

It's show because of your review is as same or copy with "TripAdvisor" (a website about hotel reviews) & due to this reason you get limited approval and you see unknown policy (TripAdvisor).

I just want to know about review on tripviewer for any hotel, & review for which hotel you want show is same? or not.

like if review is "hotel is best" on TripAdvisor for abc hotel. & you use same review for xyz hotel then may be possible this limited approval you see.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Garret,

Welcome to adwords Community.

Here is a solved threat might answer your question.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/review-extension-approved-quot-limited-qu...

Thanks,
Aravindhu.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nisal, normally you are correct. However (and this might be helpful for you all to know, we were pretty stoked to figure this out for our clients!) - while a user review or star-rating based purely on user reviews cannot be used (as these can be easily manipulated), if the SITE ITSELF decides to give you a special award or accreditation, that can be used. For example, if one of our wedding clients gets an average of four stars from WeddingWire, we can't use that. However, if WeddingWire gives them a "Best of 2015" award based on their reviews, we CAN use that and we get fully approved. Since this is exactly the same thing, just for travel instead of weddings, I'm left confused.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mohit,
See my reply to Nisal for clarification on what we're trying to use here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Aravindhu,
Thanks for trying, but I read that one before posting. Not exactly the same issue (see my other response to Nisal for further clarification). Thanks again though!

Re: Review Extension Approval Limited for "Unknown Policy&amp

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi garrett,

Thanks for clarify the question & sorry but I understand some thing else from your question. so reply wrong.

I read the "Highlight third-party reviews in your ads" article I think It may me helpful for solving you issue.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3236114?hl=en

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Garrett,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I didn't know that is possible. Please correct me me if I'm wrong here, but tripadvisor awards also based on user reviews right? So it should violate the basic policy again?

Re: Review Extension Approval Limited for "Unknown Policy&amp

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, but so are WeddingWire's "Best Of"s... It seems, at least in many cases we've stumbled across, that the moment the business earns any type of award or accreditation from the source itself, even if that accreditation is based on a determination based on reviews.  So no, I can't put a "4-star WeddingWire rating!" as a review extension, but if based on those reviews, WeddingWire awards them a "2015 Couples' Choice Award" based on those rankings/reviews, that works just fine. Which is why I'm confused about the TripAdvisor situation, it seems the same to me.

Also, the fact that in this TripAdvisor situation, the Policy we're getting flagged for is "Unknown Policy"?

My guess is what this means is that Google isn't in the know on TripAdvisor's policy in regards to how they determine who gets a Certificate of Excellence, thus maybe limiting? But how could I know for sure? And in what way is it limited? 

Very frustrating/puzzling.