AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting Lists Disabled due Health Category - Can I make a case for exception?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am working with a medical device client whose remarketing lists were disabled due to their healthcare product category. Their clientele are medical device professionals (doctors/nurses/hospital administration) who would be buying and using the device... not patients. They hope to retarget with ads related to saved treatment costs, upcoming conferences, etc. 

Has anyone had luck working with Google to get remarketing approval for a situation like this? I see there is a process for pre-authorization, but curious what the process looks like and if there are any tips for approaching the review process. 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Retargeting Lists Disabled due Health Category - Can I make a case for exception?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Nicole M

I recently had one disabled that was sort of the same situation you are in.  I was told that the intended audience did not matter.  I was told that the overall content of the website building the list was the path to an exception.   The rep I spoke with said the rule is that if the content is more than 50% healthcare related, then it cannot build a list.  I was also told that it doesn't have to be specific health conditions. Anything where bad/poor health can be implied is included.  My example is Assisted Living.  Most likely this service is being shopped for by another family member or friend. Not the person needing it.  No specific health condition is mentioned, but the fact that it implies a person needs help and nurses are involved makes it ineligible if that's all the site is about.  

I manage quite a few of these type clients.  Some are just going to be ineligible.  Others that offer independent living options such as cottages or apartments can still be eligible because there is nothing health related there. They are just 55+ communities. These places do offer Assisted Living, so we are being proactive by beefing up the independent and 55+ community content on the websites in question.

Not sure if a content restructure is an option for you, but I think that's the only way to comply with Google's policy.  Another option is a 3rd party remarketing service like AdRoll or Criteo.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

As already mentioned, if you edit the content of the site to reflect the intent to medical professionals  and there would be no interest to patients  -  this would be approved. The issue is that it's hard to set  content only for professional staff. I, as a user, sometimes read content about medical trials, though I am not a physician... In Google terms, I show interest in a  medical topic as a user. Hence re-marketing lists are disabled,  based on content, regardless of the audience.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Retargeting Lists Disabled due Health Category - Can I make a case for exception?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your responses. I reached out to Google and hope that the content of our site coupled with the content of the display ads will show our intent. Fingers crossed!

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

You can certainly try for an exception, but don't expect it, and certainly don't think that remarketing is your only possible path forward. Especially if your focus is on display advertising There are many different possible topic or interest categories that you can use to effectively target your market.

Tom