AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing lists disabled due to policy violations

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adwords Community, 

I have a website and among other things we sell knives, including the non-kitchen knives that are problematic under the "dangerous knives" policy. All our knives get a policy check in shopping because the automated system flags everything. Which is fine. Anything that isn't approved goes to another domain. It gives us clarity aswell what is allowed and prohibited. Ads for anything related to selling pocketknives is flagged for policy checks similarly, regardless of our family friendly rating. I have clear routes to challenge any perceived policy violations. But recently many of our remarketing lists were disabled due to policy violations regarding knives.

I've talked with the helpdesk and was told that in many cases remarketing policies are interpreted more strict  and that remarketing lists are perceived as advertising for a website, so even if i'm not targeting knives specifically i get the issues regardless. But i have no indication what the problem is here. We run ads for everything and since everything gets flagged policy employees have reviewed practically everything. The remarketing policy team apparently thinks differently about our products. But which? I'm clueless. 

The helpdesk just quotes the policy back at me and can't tell me what pages/products could be wrong. Giving examples of problem areas is not their job so i understand that. But the helpdesk is the only way I think I have to challenge the lists being disabled and they say they can't do anything at this point in time because the policy issues aren't resolved. What am i to do in this situation?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing lists disabled due to policy violations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Jelle W;

Re-marketing list is a audience based, not a "topic" based. So I assume that it is disapproved  since it may imply personal information about the users on the list.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The mail i received for the dissaproval says it's due to policy violations regarding "weapons". Furthermore i'm not using really specific metrics that could hint towards PII problems. While i have experienced in the past that the reason for dissaproval in the mail doesn't align with the actual problem, i'm not sure that's the case here aswell.

The catalyst for this issue surfacing was probably because my google account manager got me into a beta and i think that triggered a website review of some sort. Due to NDA stuff i can't really say anything about the beta i got enrolled in but i assume there's direct correlation.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Please copy paste the e mail received from Google (mask any account or personal info)

Also share the URL of the Remarketing campaign suspended

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Unfortunately my language settings are on my native language, which is not English. So i don't think it would be very helpful to quote the mail. Furthermore no campaign or adgroup has been disapproved. The remarketing lists are put on hold. The only impact on the campaigns is through lists not being able to be targeted anymore.

I will translate the relevant parts of the mail:

Weapons
Sites or apps that provide information, products or services related to weapons may not make userlists. Content related to weapons includes guns, crossbows, knives, accessories and other items that can cause bodily harm.

Involved list(s):
Alle bezoekers disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Winkelwagen bezoekers disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Website Bezoekers disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 1 dag disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 2 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 3 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 4 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 5 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 7 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 14 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 28 dagen disapproved for weapons
Fillter-ALL: Laatste 90 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 180 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 360 dagen disapproved for weapons
Filter-ALL: Laatste 540 dagen disapproved for weapons

and the list goes on, all with disapproved for weapons as suffix

The links provided in the mail are:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465#sensitive
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3337370

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Is this a shopping campaign or an AdWords search?
Please share the landing pages of the re-marketing campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I have dynamic product remarketing for all products and have bid modifiers for previous website visitors. I have no search remarketing currently active.

Homepage: http://goo.gl/aDvxEI
"Dangerous" knives sub-category: http://goo.gl/MaJBbA

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Jelle W;

There are 2 issues here: The products themselves, and Remarketing list.

Let me check a few points with Google on that.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm not sure how the remarketing list is a seperate issue from the products. But i'll await your answer.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Jelle W;

Google replied that the user-lists are pointing to a URL not allowed for a Remarketing list. (Hence the link provided in the email) 

Where are you pointing the list to?