AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing list(s) disapproved for use with Google AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I got an email with this subject earlier. It mentioned three specific lists by ID number but from the Analytics interface where the lists were built I can see no reference to these IDs, so I am very much in the dark as to what the problem might be. The policy page linked in the email mentions so many potential problems it is impossible to work out which one might be the cause.

I have closed all my remarketing lists as a precaution but I'd like to know how I can get some actual feedback about the cause of the problem in the first place so I can avoid it again in the future.

Best regards,

Philip

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing list(s) disapproved for use with Google AdWords

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Philip, 

This is interesting because it's not actually possible for a remarketing list to be either approved or disapproved. A remarketing list is simply a bunch of data that our system automatically gathers based on the code you implement on your site. There is no review process involved. Are you sure this email came from an @google.com domain? 

In the meantime, you can go ahead and reenable your remarketing lists and campaigns. You shouldn't have any trouble with them serving but please let us know if you do.

-Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the reply. The email came from "adwords-noreply@google.com" and contains the mailed-by header "usercomm.bounces.google.com". It was sent to all the email addresses with account access to our AdWords account so it seems unlikely that it isn't legitimate.

Here is the content of the email with identifying data removed:

--

Hello,

One or more of your remarketing lists have been disapproved for use with AdWords. The list(s) violate the AdWords policy for advertising based on interests and location: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465. As a result, the affected remarketing list(s) may no longer be targeted in AdWords, and ad groups using the list(s) may have stopped showing ads. In order to ensure all your ads are active, you will need to remove the disapproved list(s) from your ad groups. In addition, please review the policy and make any necessary changes to comply with it. You might need to apply changes to any of these:

- The tag implemented on your site
- Your ads
- Your campaign settings

When creating remarketing lists or creating your ads, you can't use any sensitive information about your site visitors or app users. Find out what we consider sensitive information for the purposes of this policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465#sensitive

If you have questions, please see the AdWords Help Centre for more information on disapproved remarketing lists:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3337370

Thanks,
Google AdWords Policy Team

Affected List(s):
[ID Numbers Removed]

Affected AdGroup(s):

-----------------------------------------
You may opt out of Disapproved ads and policy alerts emails associated with [Removed] This link expires 30 days after we send this email to you.

Google Ireland Ltd.
Gordon House, Barrow Street
Dublin 4, Ireland

Registered in Dublin, Ireland | Registration Number: 368047

--

Best regards,

Philip

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Philip, 

This is really interesting and not something I have come across before. I have escalated your question to our AdWords Support team. They will be in touch soon to help you get this resolved. 

In the meantime, please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Hannah. It would be great to get some detail about which part of the policy we are in violation of because without that it's pretty much impossible to work out how to become compliant again.

I'll wait to hear from the AdWords Support team.

Best regards,

Philip

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Hannah,

When this issue got escalated our AdWords account had been suspended so they couldn't give me any answers. The suspension has been lifted and I'm still interested in finding out more about this email and what the cause might have been. Could you ask them to take a look at it again please?

Best regards,

Philip
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip B
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Philip, 

I have asked our support team to take a look into this and get back to you. In future, you can feel free to use one of these options to get in touch with them. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Hannah

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Philip,

I'd be keen to hear the outcome of this.

It may be that you are running a site which breaches policy in some country or another - there are country sensitive policies. Since people from all traffic sources can get added to your lists it may be that there are people from a country where the site cannot be advertised and as a result the whole list gets disapproved - is the site of this nature? Are you able to advertise in all countries?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Steve,

As soon as I get any more information from AdWords support I'll share it here. Reading the policy pages it could be as simple as having to update our own privacy policy (which is being done) following the move to using dc.js tracking, or maybe something much more complicated.

We run a health related website and I know all too well how sensitive the policies in that area are so we are very careful about what we do in relation to advertising. However, at the moment we are able to advertise globally without restriction, so I was surprised to get the remarketing list disapproval email, and I'm very interested to find out what the specific issue is so we can fix it (if possible).

Best regards,

Philip

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I currently have the same problem!