AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing List Disapproved - Negative financial status

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone had any experience with remarketing lists being disapproved due to sensitive information 'negative financial status'?

I have had a remarketing list disapproved for this reason. The site is a financial related site, but it is purely informational - and we are definitely not trying to collect information about or target people who have a negative financial status. The site does discuss things about debt, etc but it is about the goals and challenges the govt faces in improving the debt status of society, etc. 

Escalated the issue to the AdWords policy team, but they are saying that the remarketing list was correctly disapproved. 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing List Disapproved - Negative financial status

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Leanne
This is correct and there's no way around it. This is also a sensible policy in my opinion. From a user perspective, it's reasonable to assume that by viewing content about debt, I would not want to be added to a remarketing list even loosely associated with that topic, no matter how tenuous the link.

The policy team's decision is final on these matters. You won't be able to create this list unless your sites content changes substantially.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

I do understand the policy and completely agree with it.. I just don't believe that this site qualifies for disapproval. It is nothing to do with negative financial status - the 'debt' section is not information about debt, but rather what the government is doing about debt. Our target audience is people interested in what the government is doing about debt and other matters, and this is very clear from the content on the site.

I don't understand how a non-profit informational site can be disapproved for remarketing, whilst sites offering financial services (debt consolidation, quick easy loans etc) is allowed to use remarketing lists (to increase their profits)... Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
This type of collateral damage occurs all the time. While technically your site wouldn't be a problem, it is too similar to what would be a problem.

For example, the same happens to sites that sell non-pharmaceutical pills. You can't call them pills or else you will need a pharmacy license.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Leanne C

Well... The Policy is clear and prohibits a remarketing list  about: "negative financial status or situation, such as information indicating that a user has a low credit rating or high debt load.

However, if  an individual personal financial status  could be inferred from the  content of the site,  this would  not be allowed. 
Can you share the website URL?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to share the URL publicly - is there a way that I can share it privately?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

generally, if the site is about debt and the
goals and challenges government faces
in improving society's debt -- anyone who
is searching for or triggering a related ad,
could be in debt or having related financial
issues could be implied; regardless of any
intended audience.

if others are using remarketing-ads outside the bounds
of the negative-financial-status policies these can be
reported directly to google as a potential policy violation.

of course, google is the final arbiter of all policies --
and having the specific url can help others offer
more specific guidance.

see also

https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/190768

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Leanne C;

The goal of this community is to share, expands and collaborate knowledge among advertisers. So, rotating  between offline and online help is not an option.

Just curious: if  the  site  in question is about government financial analysis, with the goal of publishing this information, to get public awareness,  why can't you post the URL here?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No worries @MosheTLV - I completely understand. Government affiliated organisations are just a wee bit sensitive about these things (especially to be associated with unfairly 'targeting those with negative financial status')...