AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Redirects causing ad disapprovals - very technical query

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run PPC campaigns for a client who has different websites for each country they target.  We have a separate AdWords campaign for each of these. So, it's set up like this:

1) UK targeted campaign - www.client.co.uk - targeting people within the UK only.

2) USA targeted campaign - www.client.com - targeting people within the USA only.

3) Canada targeted campaign - www.client.ca - targeting people within Canada only.

etc.

The client's website will check the user's location when they land on the site and redirect them to the most appropriate site for their location (if different to the address they typed in). The following could happen:

1) A user from the UK lands on www.client.co.uk - result: no redirect.

2) A user from the UK lands on www.client.com - result: user redirected to www.client.co.uk.

The problem we have is that Google's AdsBot is automatically checking the destination URLs for our ads from it's location in the USA, and is disapproving our UK campaign ads (and those for other non-USA campaigns). Our UK ads have the display URL www.client.co.uk and the same destination URL, but because AdsBot is located in the USA it is being redirected to www.client.com, which then doesn't match the display URL.

We can request Google manually review them, at which point they are then approved, but this can take a few days. Does anyone have a nice solution for this problem?

Is it possible for the client to change the redirect rules so that if it sees Google AdsBot it never redirects it based on its location?  Any details on how that could be done? Is there a better solution?

Thanks

James

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Redirects causing ad disapprovals - very technical query

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

I have few questions 

1. Does your UK campaign show www.client.co.uk as display url?

2. I am assuming destination url is exmample.com and then redirecting it to www.client.co.uk, am i right?

3. What are you using for redirects javascript, 301 or 302?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello OneGoodLeg; welcome;

>> 1) A user from the UK lands on www.client.co.uk - result: no redirect.

>> 2) A user from the UK lands on www.client.com - result: user redirected to www.client.co.uk.;

You need to make sure that your destination URL matches the landing page - i.e the final page that the user "lands" on, and not any intermediate pages

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

HI MosheTLV

>>The client's website will check the user's location when they land on the site and redirect them to the most appropriate site >>for their location (if different to the address they typed in). The following could happen:

>>1) A user from the UK lands on www.client.co.uk - result: no redirect.

>>2) A user from the UK lands on www.client.com - result: user redirected to www.client.co.uk.

So I believe he is talkinng about this for direct users  (if different to the address they typed in) 

If his campaigns are geo targeted then user from UK clicking on ad campaign wont land on www.client.com

Is that right?

Regards, Nik

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@theniks

>The client's website will check the user's location when they land on the site and redirect them to the most appropriate site >>for their location (if different to the address they typed in). The following could happen:

I hope I got the question right....Smiley Embarassed If I did then...

As far as I know, you cannot dynamically change the destination URL based on the user's location. (You can change based on keyword...) The destination URL is fixed for every user clicking on the ad (that was triggered by a given keyword).

The approach he should take, is to set separate campaigns for different Geo-locations.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi MosheTLV

It feels so strange that you and me discussing what exactly the original poster wants Smiley Happy

But you can change destination url based on anything with a little bit of Javascript and some server side scripting if reqiured 

so for example for all the campaigns destination URL is example.com/index.php.

Here we can check Location or anything else on run time and then 301 redirect user to client.co.uk or client.com.

That should work i guess

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

theniks, you are exactly right here.

The redirects are in place ONLY for direct visitors to the various sites.

Our AdWords campaigns are all geotargeted, so someone from the UK will only ever see an ad with the display URL and destination URL www.client.co.uk. In this way, people who click on our ads will NEVER experience the redirect, because they will always see the ad for their location.

Google's AdsBot that checks whether destination URLs match up with display URLs IS being redirected because it is based in the USA, so it will experience the redirect when it checks ads for any of our non-USA campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I removed my last post, I think I understand your question.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I think you can use scripts to change only destination URL at the keyword level...

I found this document:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/examples/complete-scripts#destination-url

I will ask Pete to join the discussion ... This is his field of expertise...(When I need a script, I ask a programmer...Smiley Surprised..)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would there be a way to identify when Google AdsBot comes on to the site, and make sure that it is never redirected?