AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Reach Local and Subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As I understand it, adwords policies requires that your Display URL and Destination refer to the same site. I have noticed that large PPC companies like Reach Local and Leads.com are using a subdomain on one of their sites to host landing pages. For example – http://customerXYZ.reachlocal.net. How are they doing this and staying within the adwords policies? Are they using some type of a redirect technique?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Reach Local and Subdomains

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

• Display URL and Landing page have to be on the same page, destination URL can be on diffrent domain and you can have up to 5 server side redirects before user hits landing page
  • Display URL and landing page must be on same domain so even if subdomain is diffrent it doesnt matter

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess I am not following you.  There are only two URLs in adwords.  Display URL and Destination URL.  The Destination URL and Landing Page are the same thing right?

The issue is when Reach Local advertises for a company they use the display URL from the company but host the landing page on their domain.  The display URL is www.customername.com .The destination URL is something like customername.reachlocal2.net 

I did not think you could do a redirect on your landing page (destination URL).

I would like to start hosting landing pages for my clients on subdomains on my website.  How do I do this?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

The landing page and destination URL are not the same;

The landing page is the webpage the user "lands" /ends up  on after all redirects. If there is no redirect, then, destination URL and landing page are the same. Your landing page's domain must match the domain of the display URL in your ad.

Read more:

Destination URL

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the policy

Match the domain of your landing page

• The domain of your display URL must match the domain of your landing page URL (after any redirects).
  • If your site is hosted on a domain that hosts other independent entities, include both the domain and path, so that it uniquely identifies your site from all the other sites on that domain. For example, many people have websites on blogspot.com. Instead of just using "blogspot.com" as your display URL, you should use "mysite.blogspot.com" instead.
  • Redirects used for tracking purposes are allowed as long as the final landing page has the same domain as the display URL

This is not being followed by Reach Local.  The display URL is www.customer.com and the landing page is customer.reachlocal.net.  How are they doing this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK - Got it;

Before I refer the case to Google for comment , could you include a screenshot of their ad showing the Display URL, and a screenshot where it "takes" the user when clicking?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the Ad Text

Ad.jpg

Here is the landing page

landingpage.jpg

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Why do you think there is a violation? . The site is hosted on reachlocal.net, similar to blogs hosted on blogpost.com

>>"If your site is hosted on a domain that hosts other independent entities, include both the domain and path, so that it uniquely identifies your site from all the other sites on that domain. For example, many people have websites on blogspot.com. Instead of just using "blogspot.com" as your display URL, you should use "mysite.blogspot.com" instead"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, I think it is important for you to understand.  I am not trying to turn anyone in to google for a violation.  I am trying to figure out a way that I can host landing pages for my clients on my server and stay within the adwords policys. 

To answer your question.  The display URL in the ad text is www.bellbroshvac.com and the URL of the landing page is bellbroshvac8.reachlocal.net.  So yes, the site is hosted on reachlocal.net BUT the display URL points to bellbroshvac.com.  These two are supost to match. Correct?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Jeff;

Have you read my previous answer that includes an example fromblogpost? Aren't the cases similar?