AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Quick tips to help your advertised site comply with AdWords site guidelines

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello Community users!

I’m Nidarshana from the AdWords team. Today, I’m going to share with you some best practices that you can follow in order to prevent your site from being disabled.

Some of the ways to ensure that your site is in compliance with our policies is to follow these basic tips.

1. Give the users what they are looking for.
If you have a blog or share tips/articles/information related to a certain topic, make it original and different from the rest of such sites on the Internet. Imagine what the user would experience when he/she would get to read or learn something different from the usual. Avoid too many ads, external links to parent sites (unless necessary, of course!), allow other users to post comments on your site, rate your products or posts, improve navigability on your site, and so on. Go that extra mile and make your users and visitors happy!

2. Selling a product? Be open and honest.
We often come across advertisers who sell e-books, books, CDs, pills, syrups and so on for weight loss/ skin lightening, learn to play the guitar, increase the height of your jump, and so on. While we do understand that all this is very much possible, it would help the user understand and accept your product better if you specify
1. How is the claim possible?
2. Under what circumstances can it become a reality?
So, try to provide all possible details about your products, including the ugly ones (side-effects) so that the users do not feel misled or unsure about your product. Let them know what they would need to do from their end and have prominent disclaimers on your site.

3. Keep away from “doubtful” affiliate sites.
With affiliate marketing, a lot of advertisers end up promoting such parent sites which do not boast of a very trustworthy business model. Don’t get trapped in the affiliate network. Make sure that it is a trusted one and has a good reputation online. Keep away from sites that you are not sure of and have a network of disabled affiliates. Not all of them are bad, but since you become a part of that affiliate, it later becomes difficult for you to make changes to your site because it is dependent on the parent site.

If you are not sure of what kind of a site to choose, you can also write to us for more guidance and help on the same! Smiley Happy

4. Read up before you start! Be prepared!
Even before you make an ad, you can also go through our Advertising Policies to gain a better understanding of what we advocate and monitor.

What’s in it for you?

When you provide all the information on your site, you can also filter out those users who are genuinely interested in your product/service which improves the chances of making a sale too! Smiley Happy

Still unsure? You can always contact us via our various support channels to find out if your website would be permissible per our policies. If yes, then nothing like it, if no, we will be happy to help you fix it. If it is completely unacceptable where no amount of working on the site will help, then you choose and promote a brand new policy-compliant site! It’s that simple!

What if you find ads for other violating websites running?
We are often asked this question by a lot of advertisers. It is sometimes possible that some ads run even before they are reviewed, but upon review if we find that the site is in violation, we would take it down immediately. You can also report these ads, by filling up this form and we will take care of the rest!

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, you can post your comments right here and I’d be happy to answer them for you.

Best,

Nidarshana

Note: This is an open forum and hence I will not be able to answer account specific questions. If you require personalized help with your account, you can always reach us via our various support channels that we have. Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Quick tips to help your advertised site comply with AdWords site guidelines

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Andre,

You can contact our support team here and they will be happy to take a look at your site and help you further.

Hope this helps.

Best

Nidarshana

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Thanks for posting this, Nidarshana!  It's very useful.  We should put it somewhere prominent in the help center, or maybe even in the AdWords account signup flow.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for sharing that. That was quite useful.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Useful tips, I have revised my site a little bit, thanks to your advices

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nidarshana,

A while ago my account was suspended for alleged 'misleading claims' on one of my landing pages. I have now reworked the site and made everything much simpler and clearer, explaining more about how my product can help etc.

Can you tell me the person/department I need to speak with re having this looked at for a reassessment?

The website is www.newtinnitustreatments.com.

Many thanks,

Andre 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Andre,

You can contact our support team here and they will be happy to take a look at your site and help you further.

Hope this helps.

Best

Nidarshana

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you should take some time to make your policy less vauge.

I do not argue about your right to have whatever policy you like. But when i get my account suspended because i did not understand that a knife-like bottle opener violates your knife policy (http://kitchenknives.com/fury-bali-song-barfly-butterfly-bottle-opener-steel-handles-xt32223), both me and Goole loose much time and money.

A few simple examples would help a long way.

Now i (you) have wasted hundreds of hours and thousands of my dollars for something that could have been easily avoided.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

May be I was thinking something else to get this done.. but anyways thanks for info!@

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

THANK YOU XO!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great tips and guidelines to keep in mind. I will make sure i have this printed out and on my desk for a quick reference.

Thanks