AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Question regarding to the "Display URL"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I wanted to ask if I'd like to use a Facebook fan-page as my (Distination URL) in a AdWords Campaign, Should I make Facebook.com/Fanpage-name   my (Display URL) or I can use the website domain as my (Display URl) ? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question regarding to the "Display URL"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You can't do that and the reason is Google puts an importance in user experience. For example if you were that person searched and saw the ad with url www.example.com and then you click on it and then you go to www.notthexample.com I will be upset and plus this creates a negative impact to your ad and will cost you more money in the long run.

I recommend just having it to go to your website and try to create a incentive for people to go to your facebook fan page for example "go to our facebook page to get a coupon" or something like that.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your response. 

But, in general it's applicable to use Facebook even if I'll make it my Display & Distination URL ? or it against AdWords policies at all ? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

its against the adwords policy. The automated sytem will see it and disaaprove your ad, but occasionally you can get away doing it then sooner or later it will get disapprove.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mahmoud-Magdy,

I have no knowledge of a policy that outlines details referring to using Facebook.com in ads as a violation.  I have heard about trademark issues however when the term Facebook is used in ad copy.  That doesn't seem to be the case here.  You will however, always have to follow the display/destination URL policies, which in essence say that they must match. 

Run a search on this community for 'Facebook', there have been some great discussions surrounding this exact topic.

I would also suggest that you use your website and then promote Facebook from there, unless you have some seriously major campaign that your running on FB.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Do not promote Facebook page through AdWords because doing so puts your account at risk of suspension, TOU explicitly states your ads can not be used in service of promoting "Clicks, Likes, Views etc,", there are exceptions to this, but that’s a whole new topic on itself.

Your Landing Page however is allowed to encourage the customer to like your Facebook Page, as long as your landing page is relevant to the content they searched for.

A better option is to create a new FaceBook Advertisers account and promote your page through that. It’s the cheapest and most effective way to get targeted visitors to your FB page and “Likes”. Much more cost effective than AdWords.

Just like AdWords, it will take some time to finesse your Facebook Targeting strategy, but in the end it will pay off. If I can go from $0.20cpc 0.5% CTR to $0.05cpc 5%ctr over a period of six weeks of tweaking Fb Ads. You can too.

Rule of thumb, use AdWords to take visitors to your website use FB Advertising for FB visitors.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Thanks for your responses. 

We do already have our FB Advertising Campaigns. However I'm just planning to expand the campaign exposure by doing some GDN that land on the Facebook page, So I just wanted to make sure if that can work or not.   

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

"Do not promote Facebook page through AdWords because doing so puts your account at risk of suspension, TOU explicitly states your ads can not be used in service of promoting "Clicks, Likes, Views etc,", there are exceptions to this, but that’s a whole new topic on itself."

@Maxroizer - care to share a source on that?  Are you referring to Spam Techniques, Inappropriate Language, Social Interactions or something else?  Also, I do not recall seeing any reference in the Terms & Conditions myself.

Promoting a FB page is one thing and IMO no different than any landing page (well it's different but not against any policy that I know of), violating policy via ad copy (click here, like us etc..) is another issue all together.

I still agree that there are better routes to take, many of which you outlined but I just want to clarify for everyone here and anyone else that comes across this thread.

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are using Display network and want to promote your FB page, make sure the display ad clearly states that by clicking on it the user wil be taken to your Facebook Page. I.e. "Visit Our Facebook Page" or "Learn More On Our Facebook Page"

Avoid using call to action terminology like "'Like Us' or "Subscribe to Us" in your Display Ad

Do Not use the FB Thumbs Up icon in your Display Ad, Google will disapprove it per "deceptive ad" (I know from experience lol).

Avoid using terms such as "for a chance to win..." "win a prize" "be a lucky winner" etc, and other raffle or lotto based terminology.

You Can use "Watch Our Video" in your display ad if a video is clearly contained on your Facebook Page page. 

Be careful on how your Facebook landing page contains language like "Like Us", "Subscribe to us" "For Free" etc, except where those terms belong. (Use them sparingly).

Good luck! 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom

Thank you for posting those links. I told OP posted risk of suspension was because I actually experienced this through a colleague was promoting his videogameFacebook page using a bunch of Facebook video game ads on G Display Network, he got a lots of $.01 clicks to that page by adverting targeting on "Flash", "Arcade", "Video Game" display ads network pages.

His account was suspended as a result of running those ads, which according to him was because "Promoting Likes, Clicks, etc". His videogame Facebook page also violated landing page guidelines per "promoting likes" 

He asked me to go into his account and fix it up so he can be allowed to advertise again on AdWords. He has it up and running again after almost a month under review, but he is not running ads directed to his Facebook Page anymore. In fact he enjoys using the Facebook CPM model, where he gets more than 10 clicks per thousand at low cpm.

I am aware there are other things he might have "violated" prior to getting that account suspended, but I learned that you must excesise caution when advertising your facebook page on GDN.