AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Question Mark in Headline

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi, have had a read of the editorial policies and am wondering why a single ? in a text ad headline would flag an ad for requiring review

Thanks
Whims

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question Mark in Headline

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Whims,

How do you know it was the question mark in the headline that triggered the review ?

From the editorial standards at "Punctuation & Symbols" I read that only the exclamation mark is not allowed in the headline.

What does the Policy Details Column say ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,
re - How do you know it was the question mark in the headline that triggered the review ?

Coz any ad I have created with a ? in the headline has immediately gone to "under review" status and generally my ads automatically goto "eligible" then "approved"

and i tested a couple of them - the exact same ads without a ? in the headline and those were immediately eligible then approved

I could leave them without the ? in the headline however they read better and make more sense with the ?
(for broad examples sake) -  
Seeking Aged Care as opposed to Seeking Aged Care? or ...
Need Widgets? as opposed to Need Widgets etc

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Whims Smiley Happy.
It's a common process for the ads to be reviewed whenever you edit or change the ads. I suppose your ads would not be a problem as your ads are currently being in the review process in order to make sure that the ads complies with the advertising policies.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi ollie, I realize that, (i'm possibly just having a bad hair day) however maybe they should be updating the guidelines or something if punctuation other than a ! (exclamation mark) in an ad headline is going to possibly present an issue.

Had i known this beforehand I could have maybe set these up a few days prior allowing time for the ad review process.

The same ads that I created at the same time, without the ? were all automatically eligible and then approved very shortly after.

Oh well, live and learn. Will bare it in mind for the future for similar situations I guess.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I made a test with one Ad and it didn't behave the same.It went to approved in less than 1 hour. It could be either a suplementary policy in your country or something to do with the account. You can find out more by asking a Google employee over the phone.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thanks Adrian, will let it 'cook' for the moment.

They approved one of the ones that was under review so seeing as the others are pretty much identical in nature I'm not anticipating problems with them.

I just found it a bit out of the norm for what I am used to so wondered if i was missing something that may have changed in the editorial policies etc

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
We are a group of tech support companies who is going to organise protest in front of google office iin gurgaon. We request all tech support and their employees to join us. Protest will start on friday the 18th at 9 am in morning. Please come and support us and ur business.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Gaurav K Smiley Happy
I'm sorry to say this but your issues is not related to this post. You can make a new post.

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
Gaurav K,

Please keep your replies relevant to the original thread topic. You can start a new post for any new issues or questions you have about your Adwords account. Thank you.