AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Question About Copyright [Trademark] and "Approved Limited" Status

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We operate a WordPress speed/performance optimization company. Whenever using the word "WordPress" in our ad copy, the ad gets approved, but in an "Approved Limited" status. The ad, however, simply never runs: I left one sit like this for a week and it didn't garner a single impression in any location.

This is a very niche service, so the competition is very limited -- yet stiff. Our competition, however, use "WordPress" in their ad copy and their ads are running fine. I have also noticed various other non-competitors that use 'WordPress" in their ad copy (hosting companies, for example; theme providers as another).

I have read the documentation on the "Limited" status and as best as I am able to interpret it, our ads using "WordPress" should run as we are not violating a copyright, are not claiming to be affiliated with WordPress in any way; and, want to use the word in an analogous manner to our competitors and non-competitors for whom WordPress serves as the foundation of their product and/or service (similar to how a Harley mechanic would advertise herself as a Harley mechanic, or an Auto Detailer stating he only uses Meguiar's).

At any rate, our work-around has been to use "WP" in place of "WordPress". This, however, is significantly less effective than being able to use the word "WordPress". I'm certain it's costing us more money per click than we would otherwise be paying, too.

At any rate, it's clearly possible to use copyrighted terms ("WordPress" in this case) in the manner we need (i.e. a legitimate way), but how to get it done such that the ad goes into a standard, 'Approved" status?

Many thanks,

AJ

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question About Copyright and "Approved Limited" Status

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Please read the documentation about copyright / trademarks usage in Adwords;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Thank you AJ for a very detailed post. 

More than copyright,  your ads seems to be impacted by Trademark policy. To confirm, I suggest you look at the 'policy details' column on your campaigns tab (you need to enable this). 

The best bet for you would be to get an authorization from the Trademark owner. If you are seeing other ads using this term, those advertisers would have secured the required authorization from the trademark owner and so are able to use that trademarked term within their ad text.

The trademark owners actually send Google the necessary forms allowing advertisers (and their accounts) to use a certain term. Please follow the process outlined here

Hope that helps. 

Let me know if you have any further questions, 

Mini

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mini and thanks,

My apologies, I meant the Trademark policy. I have edited the title of the post.

The germane section of the policy reading as follows:

Trademark terms used in ad text

[...]

Exceptions: Here are some cases when the policy for ad text doesn't apply in the way described above:

• Ad campaigns targeting Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland may use a trademark in ad text if the ad is in compliance with our policy on resellers and informational sites.

When such ads can show in these regions:    
    Resellers:
    • [...]
      OR
      The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the components, replacement parts, or compatible products relating to the goods or services of the trademark.
    • [...]
    (Italics and bold emphasis mine on bullet-pointed item)

Our ads using the term "WordPress" are in self-evident compliance with this policy. Should I call Google or is there an online way to get our ads to run?

Thanks again,

AJ

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
AJ;
Which of these exceptions applies in your case?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Ours is a compatible product relating to the goods or services of the "WordPress" trademark.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Under which exemption (location, reseller...)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Both Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Then call CS and ask to approve the ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will do.