AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Protect Yourself From Malware - Here's How

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi Everyone!

I’m Sudipti from the Google AdWords team and have been working with AdWords policies for quite some time now.

This week, I’m going to talk about Malware, that is “Malicious Software”.  It is a very common reason for site suspensions and that is why I’m here to explain this topic in more detail.

Malware is essentially software that is designed to be harmful. It may cause systems to crash, steal sensitive information like bank account details, send fake emails without the supposed sender’s knowledge or in general wreak havoc with the system.   

Obviously, letting sites that host Malware to serve ads on our system has serious implications for our users. That is why Malware is considered to be a serious violation that leads to immediate site disabling.

So does this mean we think that you are trying to spread malicious content? Definitely not! The idea behind the disabling is not to penalise you. It is just to ensure that ads for sites that contain Malware stop serving immediately so that our users are safe. I understand that in most cases sites are hacked by individuals who wish to spread malicious content.

So, what do you do if you receive an email stating that your site has been disabled for Malware?

a) Check your site for Malware.
b) Contact your hosting services provider if you aren’t sure about what to do and ensure that all the Malicious content is removed from the site.

However, there is one thing a lot of Webmasters forget. If your site was compromised, it's important to not only remove the malicious content from your pages, but also to identify and fix the vulnerability that allowed the harmful content to appear. Otherwise, the site will remain vulnerable to repeated attacks and infections.

Another very important step you need to take is to determine whether the site has only been disabled for AdWords or if it is also listed as Suspicious on Google Safe Browsing. How do you do this? It is really simple. You can access the Safe Browsing Diagnostic Page for any site by typing the following in your browser “http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=” followed by your website.

Let us say that your site is “abcxyzpqr.com”, you will be able to access its Safe Browsing Diagnostic page by entering the URL “http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=abcxyzpqr.com”.

For example this is the Safe browsing diagnostic page for google.com “http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=google.com/”.

On this page, you will be able to determine whether your site has been listed as suspicious or not. If it has been listed as suspicious, you will need to resubmit it for review through our Webmaster Tools Console by following the instructions outlined here. Just cleaning the site up will not help.

This is an automated review that typically takes about 24 - 48 hours to process and post the scan if your site is deemed clean, the interstitial warning message on your site will be removed and it will be subsequently re-enabled for AdWords. Of course we’ll let you know once your site is re-enabled.

If your site is not listed as Suspicious, then all you need to do is to clean up your site and wait for us to review your site. In most cases our automated systems review and re-enable the sites within 24 - 48 hours. If your site is still disabled, please feel free to contact us through any of the channels listed here and your friendly neighbourhood AdWords representative will come to your rescue.

That’s all folks! Smiley Happy Please do let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer them for you. But this is an open forum, so I’d request that you please do not give out any account details here. If you need personalized support, just call/chat/email  and we’ll help you out.

Warm regards,
Sudipti

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Protect Yourself From Malware - Here's How

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thank you, Sudipti.

@all: If you have any questions related to this topic, you can ask on this thread.

Best,
Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Is it  a good idea to add Website Protection Site Scanner from godady to my website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have same problem

www.dishhdtvchina.com
www.dreamsatellite.com

Adwords said I have malwares, Webmaster Tools said there not malware detected. Adwords asked me to request a audit to Webmaster Tools after cleaning up my sites which I did...

but now the advertising was stopped, we are going to lost business. 

why can't Adwords tell us where exactly went wrong so we can fix it directly?? Why do we have to bounce this question back and forward many times between Adwords and Webmaster Tools?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are having the same issue. Adwords reports Malware, but the "solution" through Webmaster Tools does not work because Webmaster Tools reports no malware.

Because Webmaster Tools reports no malware (the exact quote is "Google has not detected any malware on this site."), the button mentioned in http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en_GB&answer=168328 does not even appear!

So, it's a catch 22. Adwords says there is a problem that needs to be fixed with Webmaster Tools, but Webmaster Tools says there is no problem.

Very frustrating.