AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Pros & Cons of GDN Automatic and Managed Placements Merger

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear All,

I think most of you, have seen recent change of automatic and managed placement merger into one segment. A Single report for all your placements. Certainly Google would have found something good in making this change but I haven't yet found any reference regarding this change.

What I need you to share your experience and thoughts with this change. Discuss on pros and cons of this change and if there any good things in it please let us know so we can get benefited.

I found a drawback in it and have informed Google about same which I'm gonna share with you.

In this new change there is no option to include placements from the list of automatic placements as earlier there was a tab "include placement" to do this.

Thank you!

Anand Vishwakarma

Anand Vishwakarma
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author avish
September 2015

Re: Pros & Cons of GDN Automatic and Managed Placements Merger

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Anybody would like to add to the discussion that Avish started?

Zee
G+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I would like to see the time when an automatic placement "decided to appear" on the list, because if today I see 100 and tomorrow there are 200, there is no way of telling which is new, in order to review only the "new 100" to select the ones that need to be moved to the exclusion list.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Anand,

Thank you for raising this issue. I'd like to chime in and give you more insight as to why Google decided to make this change.

Before this change was made, there used to be two tables which displayed your managed placements and automatic placements. These tables had slightly different sets of columns and allowed for different operations. We decided to combine these tables into one that will show the data from both of the old tables. This is meant to make things simpler for all AdWords users as all placements (whether automatic or managed) will now appear in one place, making it easier to view this data at a glance.

From looking at this one table, you will be able to quickly see how each placement is being used in the ad group. The placement will be either an automatic placement or a managed placement.

I now want to address the drawback you mentioned in your post regarding not being able to include managed placements directly from the chart. You can certainly still do this, however the process is different than before. To change an automatic placement to a managed placement in the new Placements chart, please follow these instructions:

1. Select the automatic placements you wish to change to managed placements
2. Click on the Edit drop down button
3. Select 'Change Max CPC Bids'
4. Edit the new bid for this managed placement

Once you follow these instructions, the status of this placement will be changed from automatic to managed as this placement is now a managed placement.

I hope this helps!

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

This is a great question and I will explain how you can find this information. I have outlined instructions below on how you can see when an automatic placement started receiving impressions in your account.

1. Navigate to the Placements tab in your AdWords account
2. Change the metric being displayed on the graph to 'Impressions'
3. Copy and paste the automatic placement in the search box and click 'search'
4. Once you do this, our system will filter your placements and just show the metrics for this placement
5. You can then observe the graph to notice when you started receiving impressions for this placement

I hope this helps!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Neil,

Thanks a ton for your reply.
Yes, this certainly helped me but there's still a question in my mind. I would be glad if you clear me with this. Smiley Happy

Suppose I have to see how many conversions I got from Automatic placements and how many are from managed then the only solution I got is to first download data then filter it from spreadsheets. Though what I think, there should be a filter option to segregate these information.

What you think?

Thanks!
Anand Vishwakarma

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Hi Anand,

This is a great point and you are correct. The best way to filter this report to see how many conversions you received from managed placements would be to export the chart to a spreadsheet so you can manually remove the rows with automatic placements and then sum up the conversions you received from the managed placements.

I have taken note of your feedback and I will be sure to pass it along to our product team here. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, this is very helpful.

-Neil

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Neil,

I'm grateful that I could bring this concern into light. The all pleasure is mine Smiley Happy

Thank you!
Anand Vishwakarma