AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Proper application and usage of the Botox registered trademark.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

I've been researching the use of the BOTOX® registered trademark in AdWords ad copy. I have read the "Healthcare and medicines" and "AdWords Trademark" policies, as well as other Botox-related threads and queries in the AdWords Community.

I just want to ensure that I will be applying properly, as I do not want to get banned or suspended over a mistake or rule I was not aware of while going through the application process.

My client is a medical clinic that offers various services, from general practitioners, to laser treatments, to cosmetic procedures—such as BOTOX® injections. I am not sure which entity to apply under, to be certified for use of the BOTOX® registered trademark in our AdWords campaign. Technically, they do not fall under any of the options: "Online Pharmacy," "Pharmaceutical Manufacturer," or "Governmental or well-established non-profit health advocacy organizations."

We will also only be limiting our targeting to Canada, which I believe falls under the list of countries advertisers are allowed to market BOTOX® (please correct me if I am wrong).

Any insight from the Google team is much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steph K
September 2015

Re: Proper application and usage of the Botox registered trademark.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Steph K;

I agree. It would be better to check and research  first about Policy issues than working on un-suspension later.  Smiley Surprised

Botox is a prescription  drug,   which is monitored by Google, and its promotion is not allowed, unless by pharma companies. I understand that your client is a clinic: thus, promoting  Botox / Botox treatment is not allowed.

Sorry I can't be helpful on this topic.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steph K
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Steph K;

I agree. It would be better to check and research  first about Policy issues than working on un-suspension later.  Smiley Surprised

Botox is a prescription  drug,   which is monitored by Google, and its promotion is not allowed, unless by pharma companies. I understand that your client is a clinic: thus, promoting  Botox / Botox treatment is not allowed.

Sorry I can't be helpful on this topic.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah, excellent. Thank you very much for your response! Actually very helpful, as I was mostly just looking for a definite answer on the topic. It can be confusing, just because many unauthorized businesses do advertise it (and have likely just not been caught by Google yet). Will be sure to do my part and report any if I do see them. Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Steph K;

If you find  a competitor promoting Botox, which "escaped the radar" and has not been caught, please report using this form;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry to bother you again @MosheTLV, but I was wondering if advertisers are still allowed to target people searching for certain keywords (that are not be allowed in AdWords ad copy). For example, a weight loss clinic targeting people who search for "HCG Diet." I know that advertisers cannot use those words in their ad text, but are they permitted for use in keywords lists?

Again, just erring on the side of caution.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Steph

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Steph K;

This is a nice question;

Google can block certain keywords that might be in violation of the  Policy or applicable law., Google does not disclose the list. However, if  you bid on one of these keywords its status will show "disapproved", but the campaign will remain active.  On the other hand, if you promote Botox procedures on  a landing page, your whole account is suspended until the landing page is fixed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Got it. Thank you for the clarification!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is not correct. Every city in the US and canada has physicians offices advertising botox. So there is a legitimate way to get around this policy.

What I have found is that you first have to have your client apply through this website. It could be a $2000 fee if they meet requirements.

http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/e-advertiser-approval-program

Then have to apply through google and let them know youve been approved through the NABP. Here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/6099627?rd=1#ts=6099435,2897623

It is still unclear to me if the physicians office would have to apply as an online pharmacy. It's really shocking there is not a clear answer on this from google.

Hope this is helpful. If anyone gets the full scoop and is willing to share please let me know.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Brandon L;

The link which you provided applies for an online pharmacy,  which is different from a Botox  clinic for cosmetic treatments.

I would be  curious to see examples of  a plastic / cosmetic physician  who  "transformed" his / her medical clinic into  a pharmacy (applying all relevant   state and federal regulations), just to find a "workaround" in order to advertise on Google... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV I verified with google and with the NABP that this is the correct procedure that a medical practice would have to complete to get access to use drug names in ads and keyword lists.

Do you have a better solution? Because if you google botox injections + your city you will find physicians advertisings this and I know they are not all registered this way.