AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Promote a chrome extension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

i'd like to promote my chrome extension with Google Adwords

i heard that it should be prohibited because the website https://chrome.google.com is not mine

yes but the extension i want to promote is mine

so how can i do ?

thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Promote a chrome extension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Sissa,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

It's not the most ideal solution but one possibility would be to host your own website promoting your extension and then include a link directly to the download page. So a user would search for something related to your extension, click on your ad and be taken to your own website, read the information there and click on the link leading to the download page for your extension.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thanks to answer

i tried this solution but i got a message from adwords telling me that my ads are blocked because i promote a page which is just a gateway to an other website.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah true... I didn't consider that actually. Let me have a think about it while the rest of the community do also.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sissa,

Try building a whole website about your extension rather than just one landing page that says "visit us in the chrome store" - Provide lots of information about your extension on different pages and just have a "download now" in the main navigation bar. Fill the website with lots of content!

Your then driving traffic to a website that is detailing the application, it's features, about you the developer and any important news/upcoming updates etc, and it just happens to have an option to download the app. I think that would be seen less of a 'gateway page' :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i could do that but how can i be sure it would be accepted by google ? i don't want to waste many weeks to create a website if it's banned

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sissa,

Why don't you just throw something together in Wordpress? :-)

I'm sure you could get a half decent website put together in a just a day or two. Use a basic theme/design and add plenty of content.

The rules exactly are:

Not acceptable:

# Websites whose main purpose is for users to click on ads that redirect to other sites

Acceptable:

# Websites whose main purpose is to provide useful, unique, and relevant content that's focused on users, with ads as a secondary purpose

Follow this and you'll be fine http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190442

There's also a feature on that page for you to request a review of your website: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/request.py?contact_type=site_policy

Hope that helps Sissa. I'll keep an eye on this thread for you :-)

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Sissa,

Below page probably applies more than Arbitrage, although extensions may be a source of revenue for you so I think it's a bit of both :-)

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190435

"Bridge pages offer little or no unique content and are considered low value to users. "

Not Acceptable:

# Websites that feature links to other websites while providing minimal or no added functionality or unique content for the user

As long as you've got plenty of information and nice content, you'll be fine :-)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Scotty gave the best suggestion. Just setup a landing page for your extension and promote your landing page on Adwords. However, if you want to drive large volumes, I would suggest finding an ad network that allows for pop under format. <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove contact information for an outside product or service unrelated to AdWords.

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.