AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Products ads not displaying

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry in advance if i am missing something obvious here, but i could really do with some help in getting my new product ads to display. Have gone through all the google tutorials, and have followed every step to the best of my knowledge, but none of my Product ads will display. Under the status colmun on any chosen keyword the "Displaying Ads right now?" simply sys "no".  All the quality scores are 7/8 out of 10 but the staus simply says no and you get the "We're only able to provide diagnosis information for text ads." message...

I have aslo tried using the Product extentions style and my merchant services info is not pulling thorugh either.  

Would this point towards something in my GMC feed?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sarah

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Products ads not displaying

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Sarah,

You are required to use product filters if you want to specify which of the particular products from the product feed you want to display in the PLAs. For more details as how these both (product target and product filter) differ, you can read in this article.

I am not sure if you have taken time to read the article which I referred above, but do read that because it will clarify most of your doubts. Additionally, there's an article describing about product feed specification here. I would like you to go through that as well. Remember any change you make in the feed, give sometime to the system to trigger ad because it's not spontaneous.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Sarah.

Here's a checklist that worked for me:

• in Google Merchant Center, make sure that the graph lines for your products are both in green, meaning that you have most of your products approved. You may see, occasionally, some warnings and maybe one-two errors, but most of your products should show as approved. If they're not, and you're sure your feed is compliant, contact support. I did, and the feed got approved without me having to correct anything to it, although for a while it showed as disapproved.
  • Make sure that the Merchant Center "sees" your AdWords account and viceversa. For this to happen, the Merchant Center account and AdWords should share at least one user. If you go to Settings -> AdWords you should see the linked AdWords account number listed. If you don't see it, as I said, make sure the Merchant Center user is also an AdWords user.
  • Now, the next step is a bit weirder, but I was in the same situation as you are and until I took it it didn't work. Start a Product Listing Ad campaign from the Merchant Center account, by clicking on that button. After creating it (the basic structure), click on "Manage in AdWords" or something similar, and change its settings (by default it targets US and all languages).
  • Do not filter anything yet (and be aware of the fact that filters are case sensitive, and if you have 'Nike' in your feed and filter for 'nike', it won't work. The filter must match exactly the property in the criteria. Letter by letter, space by space). Just have a feed advertising all your products. If you want to test the feed and the linking, try filtering for a brand, and click on "validate". The system should find at least one product that matches your filtering criteria. At this point, your campaign should already have product extensions enabled, and say it shows all your products from your feed, and also in the Product Targets section you should see "All products" as well.
  • Give it a bit of time, set a budget of "100" for instance and a CPC of 0.20 and wait. You may have to wait a bit before seeing impressions if your CPC is too low, but if 24 hours pass and you see nothing, raise the CPC by 0.10 and repeat the waiting process.

In my experience (not entirely positive, but mainly positive), CPCs for PLAs are somewhat higher than the ones you can get for a targeted product ad, and this seems to be mainly because PLAs get triggered for broader terms as well, and presumably their relevance to the product is lower and hence the CPC higher. I've clearly seen that a click for "plasma TV" leading to a plasma TV set is more expensive than a click for "samsung 51E550" that leads to the same product. And if you set a low CPC to begin with, it may take a while before someone searches for a relevant enough search term for your ad to show.

As far as product extensions go, which you can also enable in a regular campaign, they only show if your ad can get the top #3 positions, so you will not get them to show for ads placed in position 4 or lower.

That's just about anything I could think of right now, if you take all these steps and it still doesn't work, please get back to us (as a matter of fact it would be great if you'd get back to us and confirm it worked as well Smiley Happy ).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi, Sarah.

I knew it Smiley Happy. No news is usually good news, because if things go wrong, people return very quickly to say it didn't work. So you're busy shipping out orders. That's very good indeed. I didn't expect it to get to that point so quickly, but then the best part of being pessimistic (or not exaggeratedly optimistic) sometimes is that you can always be pleasantly surprised Smiley Happy.

Here are both your answers: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Can-you-see-a-search-term-report-for-PLAs/m-...

You can go down to product level with targeting, if you want, and you can thus vary your bids according to your product margin.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah and welcome,

SarahEdwards wrote:

Sorry in advance if i am missing something obvious here, but i could really do with some help in getting my new product ads to display. Have gone through all the google tutorials, and have followed every step to the best of my knowledge, but none of my Product ads will display. Under the status colmun on any chosen keyword the "Displaying Ads right now?" simply sys "no".  All the quality scores are 7/8 out of 10 but the staus simply says no and you get the "We're only able to provide diagnosis information for text ads." message...

I have aslo tried using the Product extentions style and my merchant services info is not pulling thorugh either.  

Would this point towards something in my GMC feed?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sarah

Product Listing Ads do not depend upon your keywords to trigger an ad. It's mainly the product target which you set inside the ad group will decide which products from your Google Merchant Center feed will be allowed to trigger an ad. In addition the use of product filters further refine the way how to control these ads. But, yes you can include negative keywords if you don't want your PLAs to be shown for some queries.

I would suggest you to check the basics first like how you have configured the feed and whether you have included the required product attributes inside your GMC and also if the feed is verified or not. Remember that whatever changes you make in the feed, give it sometime to settle down and see if PLAs start showing up or not.

I would also encourage you to create a separate Product Listing Ad Campaign (PLA) if possible because it's a different format ad campaign and work differently. You can read this informative article for more details.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post.

My Product feed all seems to working well as all the attributes are in place, such a availability, condition, brand, price, product type etc and have added a couple filter of "product type" and "brand" in my campaigns both in Product Listing Ad Campaigns and also attributing these filters to text ads but neither of the types of ads will appear.

I am not sure if i am getting confused with "filters" and "product targets" - i have added serveral product targets of "brand" and then the Product type info -is this not the way it should be set up? (these also all validate) - do i also need to apply filters as i havnt dont anything with negative filters...?

Thnaks again for you help

Sarah

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Sarah,

You are required to use product filters if you want to specify which of the particular products from the product feed you want to display in the PLAs. For more details as how these both (product target and product filter) differ, you can read in this article.

I am not sure if you have taken time to read the article which I referred above, but do read that because it will clarify most of your doubts. Additionally, there's an article describing about product feed specification here. I would like you to go through that as well. Remember any change you make in the feed, give sometime to the system to trigger ad because it's not spontaneous.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Sarah.

Here's a checklist that worked for me:

• in Google Merchant Center, make sure that the graph lines for your products are both in green, meaning that you have most of your products approved. You may see, occasionally, some warnings and maybe one-two errors, but most of your products should show as approved. If they're not, and you're sure your feed is compliant, contact support. I did, and the feed got approved without me having to correct anything to it, although for a while it showed as disapproved.
  • Make sure that the Merchant Center "sees" your AdWords account and viceversa. For this to happen, the Merchant Center account and AdWords should share at least one user. If you go to Settings -> AdWords you should see the linked AdWords account number listed. If you don't see it, as I said, make sure the Merchant Center user is also an AdWords user.
  • Now, the next step is a bit weirder, but I was in the same situation as you are and until I took it it didn't work. Start a Product Listing Ad campaign from the Merchant Center account, by clicking on that button. After creating it (the basic structure), click on "Manage in AdWords" or something similar, and change its settings (by default it targets US and all languages).
  • Do not filter anything yet (and be aware of the fact that filters are case sensitive, and if you have 'Nike' in your feed and filter for 'nike', it won't work. The filter must match exactly the property in the criteria. Letter by letter, space by space). Just have a feed advertising all your products. If you want to test the feed and the linking, try filtering for a brand, and click on "validate". The system should find at least one product that matches your filtering criteria. At this point, your campaign should already have product extensions enabled, and say it shows all your products from your feed, and also in the Product Targets section you should see "All products" as well.
  • Give it a bit of time, set a budget of "100" for instance and a CPC of 0.20 and wait. You may have to wait a bit before seeing impressions if your CPC is too low, but if 24 hours pass and you see nothing, raise the CPC by 0.10 and repeat the waiting process.

In my experience (not entirely positive, but mainly positive), CPCs for PLAs are somewhat higher than the ones you can get for a targeted product ad, and this seems to be mainly because PLAs get triggered for broader terms as well, and presumably their relevance to the product is lower and hence the CPC higher. I've clearly seen that a click for "plasma TV" leading to a plasma TV set is more expensive than a click for "samsung 51E550" that leads to the same product. And if you set a low CPC to begin with, it may take a while before someone searches for a relevant enough search term for your ad to show.

As far as product extensions go, which you can also enable in a regular campaign, they only show if your ad can get the top #3 positions, so you will not get them to show for ads placed in position 4 or lower.

That's just about anything I could think of right now, if you take all these steps and it still doesn't work, please get back to us (as a matter of fact it would be great if you'd get back to us and confirm it worked as well Smiley Happy ).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin,

Thank you very much for posting the checklist.

Firstly, i read through every point and all seemed familiar with what i had done before but originally i had set up several ad groups under  my "Product Listing Ads" campaign and also included Keywords with each ad group. (i think this is where i had gone wrong befor!!!)

So i decided to delete my whole campaign and follow each step you mention. And so i have one "Product Listing Ads" with one adgroup in it, with a daily budget of £10 and a CPC of 0.30. I have set no filters at either the Product extention level or Auto target level but i can see that "All products" are showing in both. ( i did test a couple brands and they all valitaded but did not confirm any)

I will now leave this exactly as is for a day and see if i start getting clicks.

Thanks again for your post and will of course post again to let you know how i am getting on

Sarah :-)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Alright, Sarah, fingers crossed and let's hope that you acquire that first impression. From then on it's a question of bidding, budget, product filtering and maybe some feed management. The last thing I did was to add the brand to the product name, as my feed generator used to enter the model name alone, while most people were searching for "brand + model".

Good luck!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again, Sarah. Did you get the precious first impression?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin

Sorry for the delay but have been away for a couple day but came back to a lovely sight- impressions, clicks and conversions!!!! Thanks you very much for you help and advise on getting me set up with the product listing ads!

One further question... :-)

I have 1 adgroup in my Product Listing Campaign, with my merchant feed as the ad extention and no auto targets. What is the best way to set up targeted Product listing ads and to track results? Would i set up an individual adgroup called, say, "Kong Dog Toys" and then under the Auto target add the atribute filters for "Brand= Kong" and "Product= >...>...>...Dog toys". and so would i set up individual adgroups for all the specfic products i really want to target?

Also, how do you actually see what products have been clicked on as all is simply get is a * in my analytics Keyword data? 

Thanks again 

Sarah

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi, Sarah.

I knew it Smiley Happy. No news is usually good news, because if things go wrong, people return very quickly to say it didn't work. So you're busy shipping out orders. That's very good indeed. I didn't expect it to get to that point so quickly, but then the best part of being pessimistic (or not exaggeratedly optimistic) sometimes is that you can always be pleasantly surprised Smiley Happy.

Here are both your answers: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Can-you-see-a-search-term-report-for-PLAs/m-...

You can go down to product level with targeting, if you want, and you can thus vary your bids according to your product margin.

Good luck!