AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Possible policy violation "Sale of free items and official services"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello AdWords Community,

I am in the midst of researching a website project that would help Canadians attain their passports using an online form navigator.  My concern is that the search terms "Canadian passport" turn up no paid advertising results and even worse, they do not turn up any natural search results for companies offering similar services, only the government websites appear.  I wonder if this has something to do with poor quality score of competing company websites, or perhaps it is because the Google AdWord policy team does not see value in this service and is not allowing their Adwords campaigns to run.  For example, AdWords has a policy that will not allow "Sale of free items and official services" (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/189033?hl=en#).  This basically means that Google does not allow the promotion of websites that charge for products or services that are otherwise available for free or are available from an official form or service (i.e. through the government at a lower cost).  I really do not want to spend the time and money developing a website that will not receive any impressions due either to a Google algorithm that gives me a low quality score or an AdWords policy that bans advertising for certain government services.  Any insight on this subject matter would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible policy violation "Sale of free items and official se

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Reading the following discussion my understanding is that these type of services are offered in Canada, though, I don't know though how popular they are. What I am certain about is that you need to strictly follow the Policy;

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approvals-and-Advertising/Sale-of-free-items-is-not-allow...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’