AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Possible Adwords Account Opening Scam????

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most customers we operate Adwords for are UK companies that we know well and for most of them we have opend an Adwords account.

However I have recently had multiple enquiries form Asia and Eastern Europe asking us to just open a new Adwords account for them, (not operate it) it smells of a scam but I can't see what the scam is.

If I set up a gmail address, create an Adword account, apply a Adword Voucher and leave it to the client to add a payment method, other than their payment potentially bouncing or being reversed is there any other risk I am missing? 

Sorry if this is a daft question but I am sures something is amiss, why would a Bangledeshi person or business pay a UK company £50 GBP for a very simple task?

Thanks,

Matt.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible Adwords Account Opening Scam????

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your posting. If you feel some of your Adwords customers are in violation of the Adwords Policies, I suggest you have them read and accept the Adwords Terms & Conditions prior to using your Agency services. If they have any questions about the T&C's or the Adwords Policies, they can contact Google from our Contact Us page here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206/?ctx=cuffhelp&hl=en&rd=1#contact=1

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author matt s
September 2015

Re: Possible Adwords Account Opening Scam????

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;;
In addition to the link to documentation JP has mentioned, I would advise NOT to follow this practice. The user who clicks on "accept terms and conditions" is, technically, the owner of the account. (Generally, this should also be the user who pays).
Opening "remotely" an account for users whom you are not going to serve is a violation:
There could be two reasons I can think of:

• Taking advantage of the coupon offering - trying to "bypass" the Geo restrictions of the coupon TOS
  • Had an account suspended in the past - "guessing"  that opening an account in another country will not trigger the system.

I will escalate this info to the relevant team at Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’