AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Pop-overs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, are pop-overs allowed? The pop-over does not create a new window.

An example would be on the site http://tipstogetagirl.com.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Pop-overs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Don't get stuck in technicalities. Anything that disrupts the user experience, regardless of the implementation, is not allowed. If you want your users to sign-up for something, display that form somewhere on the page and don't force the user to click a close button to get rid of it.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Don't get stuck in technicalities. Anything that disrupts the user experience, regardless of the implementation, is not allowed. If you want your users to sign-up for something, display that form somewhere on the page and don't force the user to click a close button to get rid of it.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't accept this answer at all.

What do you make of this?

"Interstitial pages  Allowed with limitations

Google allows interstitial pages, as long as they don't hinder a user from exiting a site. Interstitial pages are unexpected web pages that appear when navigating from one page to the next."

My example does not prevent a user from exiting a site (it is not an exit pop-over) nor does it come on multiple pages, but only initially.

And yes techinicalities are important.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi wisdomoto,

Welcome to the community!

As I never used Interstitial pages on my website but as it is stated in Google's Advertisement Policy that you can use it as long as they don't hinder a user from exiting your site. A proper/well appeared CLOSE button must be in your Interstitial pages.

And if you think it could help you in getting more leads you can try for sure.

Thnaks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

wisdomoto wrote:

I don't accept this answer at all.

What do you make of this?

"Interstitial pages  Allowed with limitations

Google allows interstitial pages, as long as they don't hinder a user from exiting a site. Interstitial pages are unexpected web pages that appear when navigating from one page to the next."

My example does not prevent a user from exiting a site (it is not an exit pop-over) nor does it come on multiple pages, but only initially.

And yes techinicalities are important.

Your example is not an interstitial, as it does not appear when I click a link to navigate from page A to page B. It is (I think, I did not have time to check out the code) a timed javascript pop-up, coded as a <DIV> probably. The fact that it only appears once does not matter, it still provides a negative experience for the user, while attempting to raise the subscription rate.

I understand your reasons for using it, I accept that you don't accept my point of view, but as you can also read in Google AdWord's policy, it's not about you or me, it's about the user.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Also, please note the information harvesting policy listed here: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190438

Asking for personally identifiable information in exchange for free gifts is not allowed. And proving that collecting information is not the primary purpose of the website may not be so easy.

Good luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No problem, thanks for your time