AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Policy violations hidden by IP Blocking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Some time ago I reported some ads that were consistently breaking the tobacco products and bridge page policies in google.co.uk. Most of them were taken down but one has remained and I had wondered why Adwords were missing the violation and allowing it to continue.

I know that it is possible to block IP addresses in adwords, to stop your ad showing to certain IP addresses, so is it possible that the ad group in question, is hiding their ads from Google bots?

They use a bridge page, so I know that is one way they evade detaction, but still another site with a bridge page that had copied them was taken down. So it still remains a mystery as to why this one is being ignored. There is a screenshot here, the site in question is reallyliquid dot co uk. It has been reported correctly, but remains and so I am wondering if they may be blocking adwords team IP address so that they can not see it and so when reported, think that it is not there.

The ad url is

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=CCl1txM4wUNicLoTU8QPA7IG4C6O2tbUEw_rGw2GPxYGCBggAEAIoA1DSvs_C-v...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Policy violations hidden by IP Blocking?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I am referring your case to Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, it finally disappeared, but they have just gone out and bought new domain names to get round it.

So they are now using the domain name really-global dot com in the ad, that points to a bridge page, as before, that leads to their main url that is really-ecigarette dot com.

I have reported it, but seeing as they evaded detection for so long before, they are probably going to be using the same means again, maybe IP blocking, I am not sure.

In case they are blocking IPS here is a screenshot of their new ad

The ad url is

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=CM2ymNLszULLhAcj6sgb5moC4C__2ip4E35yW7WSPxYGCBggAEAFQk9TolP7___...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wow, these guys are persistent, this is their third domain purchase, they have been taken down twice in the last couple of months, they are now back using the domain name ukjuice dot co uk, that is a bridge page leading to the same site really-ecigarette.com

Screenshot of ad and of bridge page to show it is same REALLY site

I have reported it, but maybe if it stays for long enough that makes it worth them purchasing a new domain, as a new domain only costs a few dollars, I guess unless it gets taken down quick it makes it worth their while and they will just continue to buy new domains and consider it an expense for their business.

ad url is

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=CCTpvrto3UMiSJsTswQPN3ICgDKbotbgCvqqk9iuPxYGCBggAEAFQ_6D1lvn___...

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Wanda,

Thanks for reporting this.  I'm forwarding it along to the policy team now.  Hopefully they can suspend these guys' accounts for repeated policy violations and prevent them from creating any new accounts in the future.  I'll also check into whether there's any IP-based cloaking going on.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Wanda,

Thanks again for reporting these guys.  We shut down the account running that ad, plus several other accounts that were run by the same people.  The suspension system is set up to try to prevent creation of additional accounts by the owners of suspended accounts, so hopefully this will keep this particular business out of AdWords.  I'm sure there are others, though.  It's like a game of whack-a-mole.

We're also doing some research to see if we can do a better job of catching similar ads and sites in the future.  Catching them based on just the ad text is tricky, since the only useful words there were "liquid' and "juice", and the vast majority of ads containing those two words have nothing to do with e-cigarettes.  But we have a few other things in the works that should help, including my main project.

Laura

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.