AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Policy on Adverts for a Different Persons Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The owner of our company is currently selling his home, he has requested I set up a campaign of a few ads targeting phrases such as "auckland home with a sea view" that when clicked would link through to the home's listing on the real estate agents website that is selling his property. 

Given that we don't actually own or control the domain of the real estate agency, could this possible conflict or be against any AdWords policy?

Thanks,

James

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James P
March 2016

Re: Policy on Adverts for a Different Persons Domain

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi James,

Firstly kudos for checking if it complies with AdWords policies, which a very few do.

From policy POV: there's no restriction on advertising a website which you don't own. However, as you've rightly mentioned you wouldn't have full control over the agent's website. Which means if the site is suspended in future, your account would be penalized and you wouldn't have a choice but to request him to fix it.

From tracking POV: (GA, conversions, remarketing, etc), you'll have to place the code on his website which he might not approve.

From performance POV: Google allows not more than ONE text ad from the same website in the search results page. If the agent is already advertising his website on Google, your ads (pointing to his domain) might conflict, which is another layer of competition.

I'd recommend having your own website since it can cater to all these issues. If you think a specific domain name (like aucklandhome) might not be useful after the house is sold, you can go for a generic name which you can use later as well.

Hope that helps!

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: Policy on Adverts for a Different Persons Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much. Really insightful advice Sumanth Smiley Happy