AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Pipes in Ad Headline

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi All,

I bumped into an ad yesterday (screenshot here) with pipes in the headline. I've seen display URL with pipes in the headline (which is automated) but never seen something like this. The fact that it stretches the headline (61 chars) is surprising. Wondering if this was from ad customizer.

Thoughts?

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pipes in Ad Headline

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Sumanth Sridhar,

1) You can use pipe in heading or top according to this article:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722087?hl=en

""What top ads look like
Ads at the top of the page may look slightly diff................................................
When there's enough space, we may also add your website's domain to your ad's headline. The domain will be separated from your headline by a visual separator to make it easy for users to see, such as a vertical pipe ("|"), hyphen, or other separator."

2) By using customize ads, you can show more than 35 char headline according to your setup.
Tip: I think know that how to upload business data in adwords. Just use short name as file name like
new, data or... & add product name, brand etc. Now understand How is it possible to show more than 35 char. ads?

Simple, Use product name what ever you want to write like  Apex Shoe ok !, Now add other column name application & add put this complete word "Othotic Friendly Shoes | Night Splints for Feet",
Now use this simple formula in heading:
{=new.Products} | {=new.Application}
if you count this are not more then 25 characters Smiley Happy as adwords guide.
You can see in preview of ads that it is possible to show the more 64 char.

******In some conditions Google allow this like Hotels review, shopping ads etc.*********

I am working practical in it & if my ads will approve, I will share with you snap shot.

Regards
Mohit

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Mohit,

Showing display URL in the headline, separated by a vertical pipe is automatic and mostly happens for top ads. The ad in question isn't a top one and neither is it related to display URL.

Manually adding pipes in the headline wouldn't comply with editorial guidelines. As you said, it is very much possible to create such a headline from ad customizer. However when the ad is served, it clearly violates ad text policies.

I was anyways going to report it, but just wanted to check if this could be from ad customizer or any other feature in AdWords.

@others: request your suggestions/thoughts.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sumanth Sridhar
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It's a Dynamic Search Ad (DSA) that used the landing page title as the headline. DSAs are allowed to create headlines longer than 25 characters.

DSAs algorithmically choose a page from the advertiser's website to use as a landing page (based on what you searched for), and they often use the title of the landing page itself as the headline.

Look at the /apex page on that advertiser's site. That ad headline (including the pipes) is the actual HTML title of the page. Simple as that.

Google's article on DSAs mentions the ads may have longer-than-normal headlines, although it doesn't detail all the reasons why: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471185?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello @ Michael Bauser

That's great and new things which is I know first time from you. I read the case studies and example.

https://storage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/SNP_A9FDD4D92EA2A32DD341807F7911B06E9216_3248216_en_... in this PDF Qoo10 Also specify about it that how Qoo10 increased sells from dynamic text ads. I will try and test it for my website.

Thanks
@Sumanth Sridhar for starting useful discussion.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Bravo Michael! Didn't expect a DSA to serve 61 chars of headline. Thanks for the insightful response Smiley Happy

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar