AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Phone numbers inserted in an ad copy (not extensions)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have a couple of questions about placing a phone number into an ad copy.

and am wondering if this is still valid. For some reason the phone numbers I insert in my ad copies are not clickable on mobile devices Woman Frustrated .

As far as I have seen there are many ads with clickable phone numbers in the content and many ads with unclickable phone numbers in content. I can not understand why sometimes they are clickable and sometimes they are not clickable.

I assume it has nothing to do with phone (call) extensions because a call extension is supposed to appear as an aditional line in the text ad however those ads that have clickable phone numbers are exactly the same length as ordinary ads. 

Another question is related to phone numbers in the ad headline. According to Google's policy it is not allowed to place a phone number in an ad headline, however I have seen a couple of ads that do have clickable phone numbers instead of their headlines. Maybe that is something different than an ad headline Woman Embarassed

Thank you! Woman Wink
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phone numbers inserted in an ad copy (not extensions)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello mariav;

This is a nice question, I have been asked few times lately; and, honestly, I don't have a full answer.

As you correctly pointed out, Google's Policy prohibits phone number in the hyperlink headline; unless those are shown as part of call extensions.

There are various formats of call extensions that I have seen: in the headline; at the bottom of the ad; with phone icon, without and phone icon only. My assumption is that Google is checking different formats.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’