AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

People are using my firm name in Google adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Adwords Community

I write to you in hope of clearance with my problem that are currently getting bigger and bigger for my company. The situation is as this, i have a specific firm name, and ALOT of other firms take my firm name and use it in Adwords. So when customers search for my firm name the Google site is SPAMMED with ALL other firms trying to steal my customers from my site. This is frustrating and i really need help here, my customers are calling me sending me email telling me that it is hard to find my business on google with all these other websites trying to lure them in..

So is there anyway i can get this to stop or get Google to remove them.
Or is there a way to report them for using my firm name as theirs instead of there own to steal my customers. 

If there is some other way please tell me.

Please help me!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: People are using my firm name in Google adwords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Niclas,

If your firm name is a trademark and the competitors are using the trademark then you can take action as seen in this help article. If you don't have the name trademarked and don't plan to then it could be worth reaching out to these competitors to try to come to an agreement.

If the competitors are simply targeting your firm name as a keyword however and are refraining from making mention of it in their ad content then this is allowed.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
This is not really a Google issue, if you think about it - it is more to do with international trademark law. Google cannot stop someone using a common word or even a company name that is not trademarked. However, they will stop competitors using your trademarked name in their ad copy.

And you only need to file the complaint once - that will serve for all future issues.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Niclas,

If your company name is registered as a trademark then you can register a complaint with Google if competitors are using your TM name in their ads - this form : https://goo.gl/Ew6fZ

However, you cannot stop people using your name as a keyword to trigger their ads - they can try and present their ads in front of people looing for you.

There's no real surprise in that - people will often put billboards close to their competitors premises - or advertise in their catchment area - it's all part of running a business - and competing!

What you can, and probably should do is advertise yourself. Since you are the TM owner you can use your name in your ads, and since your branded keywords should have a high quality score it will cost you significantly less to grab the top ad slots for your name.... if nothing else you can try and push your competitors costs up to a point where it doesn't make economic sense for them to try and buy your keywords.

With all due respect, if your customers are telling you that it's hard for them to find you online, then it is really up to you to make it easier - not Google by giving you preference, or your competitors by politely moving out of the way.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Niclas,

If your firm name is a trademark and the competitors are using the trademark then you can take action as seen in this help article. If you don't have the name trademarked and don't plan to then it could be worth reaching out to these competitors to try to come to an agreement.

If the competitors are simply targeting your firm name as a keyword however and are refraining from making mention of it in their ad content then this is allowed.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Its not hard to find my company in Google Smiley Wink The problem is that ALOT of our customers search for our firm name specific. And THAT is what all the other companys is putting in there Adwords like this "My Company - Slogan" and then it shows up in adwords top 3 when they search for my company name. Adwords should implement a feature allowing firm users to take over the keyword for that company name. It should not be allowed to make money of other peoples companys. But Google is to big they don't care about this i think. Sad day so now i have to contact all the other companys and file a lawer against them. They are breaking 2 laws in my country but Google dont care about those laws. And its gonna be a nightmare to make them stop cause everyone on the Internet is like "lets do what the best do" NO! They should think ideas for them self instead of just taking others ideas and trying to steal their customers its wrong. I cant trademark my firm name cause its first name is a general term in my country.... We have more than 2000 customers everyday visiting our site. But there is always some people that think that the top 3 results of google is actually results and dont see the "Adwords logo" Smiley Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Its excactly the same name with small and big letters Scotty Smiley Very Happy I KNOW some of them and they wont stop cause its apparently allowed to take other peoples names in your Adwords as long as they are not trademarked. Those people have NOTHING in commen with our firm and we have no relations to them. The ONLY thing they do is steal our work and pretend they are us. Customers have complained about the other firms saying they are our partners... But they are not, i hate that Google have no way of stopping this madness...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
This is not really a Google issue, if you think about it - it is more to do with international trademark law. Google cannot stop someone using a common word or even a company name that is not trademarked. However, they will stop competitors using your trademarked name in their ad copy.

And you only need to file the complaint once - that will serve for all future issues.