AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

PPC - AdWords company can use the word Google in display URL ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding if it is allowed per AdWords policies if a ppc company who offers adwords management services can use the word Google in the Display Url.

I know there is a policy which says that trademark usage in Display URL will not be investigated, so complaining to google about this will not have any effect.

But I don't see an exception there saying we don't investigate trademark usage in URLs except our own trademark.

Can someone explain if this trademark usage is allowed or not with an indication of a policy which can be quoted ?

However I see this example of using "Google" in the Display URL of an AdWords Ad without being banned :

google-trademark-in-display-url-for-pcc-company.png

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: PPC - AdWords company can use the word Google in display URL ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes. You can use any trademark term in the display URL -- this is "grey"

But, according to the Trademark Policy for "resellers" -- If you are sending the traffic to a landing page that clearly is selling the trademark holders product, you can use it in your ad copy and your display URL.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Google does not check violation of Trade-names within the display URL lines. This is also applicable  to Google's own trade-name.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
What's most interesting to me is the amount of 'other' Google trademarks that are constantly used, right in the ad copy...run a search for 'AdWords Help' or something similar...all the ads mention AdWords...if I had to guess, (although they may have) it's highly unlikely that all of these advertisers have requested and received 'permission' to do this.

For giggles, here's their list of trademarks: http://www.google.com/permissions/trademark/our-trademarks.html

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Shanee K for the help, I haven't noticed that part of the policy about resellers and it makes sense to be allowed as you present it. 

Using google in the Display URL requires a special permission from google ?

I can't use Google in the ad copy as it imediately gives an error message , I can only save the Ad with the word "Google" in the Display URL.

google-in-text-ad.png

Hasn't google provided a clear stand on this issue by now ? There must be thousands of Google partners who would like to know what is allowed and what not.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Moshe and Tommy for joining this thread.

I learn now that using the word "AdWords" should also be done only after receiving a written permission from the local Google representative . This is interesting news for me Smiley Happy

I am using AdWords without requesting any permission, should Google ban my ads or do I not need permission because I am a "reseller" ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

It's tough to say, sometimes, the whole "if it's not broke, don't fix it" philosophy can come into play. That aside, I don't see how it could hurt you to double check with a rep or even apply for 'permission' if you feel that is the best route to go.

In my experience, if there are trademark issues, generally, they're caught pretty early in the review process, regardless of whether it's an ad, or extension etc...I'm not sure I've run into a situation where something was retroactively disapproved.

It seems clear that they may not want folks to use the term Google in ad copy...but perhaps due the amount of legitimate use of terms like 'AdWords' they may not be as concerned.

One final point, I have access to some 'paused' campaigns that date back to 2010 that include 'AdWords' in ad headlines as well as descriptions, display URLs etc...never been flagged. Smiley Happy

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, there is an unwritten rule that "AdWords" usage in the Ad text is allowed simply because it is not flagged immediately as a "trademark" like the word "Google" seems to be .

However what would be your take on using the word "Google" in the Display URL ? Would you / do you use it when you advertise for PPC services , directly without any concern of getting disapproved ?

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Sorry, can't say I've tried this or have any experience (old account history) using the term Google in this way.

-Tommy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

When the term "Google" is used in the ad-text - my experience: the ad  is instantly disapproved;
Can you post the screenshots using an external link; Technical bug prevents seeing them.
Are you saying that, (your tests showed)  "Adwords" was allowed ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’