AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

PLA - product feed title guidelines & number of entries per product

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

I have two particular questions concerning the product feed.

1) titles

Given the fact that the title is arguably the most important attribute when it comes to matching search queries with products (even more important than the description attribute), I wonder how much leeway I have when setting up the title (apart from the 70 character limit). The product feed specifications say that I have to

Follow our Editorial Guidelines closely. For example, do not include any promotional text such as "Free shipping", and do not use BLOCK CAPITALS.

Fine with me, however, what does count as "promotional text"? Since many search queries include verbs like "order xy" or "buy xy", it would be logical to include these words in the title of a product to increase visibility; so the product "Playstation 4 incl. Super Mario Brothers" would instead be titled as "Buy Playstation 4 incl. Super Mario Brothers" - would this be permissible or already amount to undue advertising?

2) number of entries per product

Which leads me straight to the second question: People use differently worded search queries while looking for the same product - would it be permissible to include the same product multiple times (with different titles and therefore also different IDs) in a feed? For example, including a product under the titles of "double distilled water", "ddH2O" or "Bidest. water" (yes, I know all of these could be squeezed into a single product title, but this example serves best to illustrate my question).

Or should I avoid this because redundancy within a feed is another no-go?

Thank you all in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author toaonyk
September 2015

Re: PLA - product feed title guidelines & number of entries per pr

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

(1) title should name and included characteristics of the physical item.

yes, call-to-action phrases also violate the policies and are
grounds for disapproval or account suspension at any time.

(2) there is a strict one listing per (physical) product policy --
submitting a physical product more than once is a policy violation
and grounds for disapproval or suspension by google at any time.

variant products may be submitted as multiple listings --
but require identical item_group_id values, and at least
one variant attribute that differs for all items within the
variant product group.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
first, you're welcome.

variants are any group of identical products that only differ
by the attributes color, material, pattern, or size -- variants
are not restricted to apparel in any way.

size may be any value that is accurate and appropriate for the type of item;
color is simply the most dominate color (or colors) of the item;
pattern may be a visually different pattern, graphic, or logo;
material is the material an item is made from;
item_group_id is the identical value that tags all items in a group.

e.g.
title,item_group_id,size,color
feather banner,fbp-1,135.5 inches,red/white/blue
feather banner,fbp-1,135.5 inches,green/white/blue
feather banner,fbp-1,135.5 inches,yellow/white/blue
teardrop flag,tdf-2,300 inches wide x 1300 inches high,red
teardrop flag,tdf-2,300 inches wide x 1300 inches high,green
teardrop flag,tdf-2,150 inches wide x 650 inches high,green

submitting multiple variants without the proper variant attributes
and identical item_group_id values for all items within the variant
group is grounds for items to be removed, disapproved, or account
suspension, at any time.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, toaonyk.

You are very right in saying that the title is the most important thing. That's how I see things as well and the titles are one thing I'm really working on.

However, I'm working on aligning the title with the product-related search queries, the best I can. So, for instance, even if the product is called, on the website, something like "Sony KDX-50WMPS 50" Smart 3D LED TV, THX certified, with one year free Hooflix subscription and free wall-mount" Smiley Happy, I'm trying to title it "Sony KDX-50WMPS 50" LED TV" if I see that the most important queries are for Sony 50" LED TV and Sony KDX-50WMPS.

I'm not trying to include call to actions in the product names as I believe they might violate the guidelines. I cannot say, with 100% certainty, that including the word "buy" would constitute a violation, but as it is not product related I believe it would and I'd rather stay safe.

As for the second part of your question, I've always maintained the 1-1 relationship between feed items and product URLs. I don't think that two feed items for the same product are allowed, but you might be able to use two feed items if you duplicate the products in the store inventory as well. That could / might be allowed. If you want more ads of yours to be served for the same query, you need to have different products (or at least different URLs) with titles that match the search query the best they can and with bids high enough. However, that won't happen for very specific queries, but rather for the more general ones.

Hope it helps, feel free to get back to us with more questions or requests for clarification if need be.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello AdWiser, thanks for the feedback.

I cannot say, with 100% certainty, that including the word "buy" would constitute a violation, but as it is not product related I believe it would and I'd rather stay safe.

I was afraid so. The problem is that not everything is covered by the specifications given by the company (especially with problems like these), and that Google usually is content leaving their customers to figure out tricky questions by themselves. Some can be answered by the AdWords support staff, when it comes to Merchant Center-related stuff, however, they usually direct me there (where coincidentally no proper customer support deserving that name exists).

If you want more ads of yours to be served for the same query

No, I am content with one single ad (per product) served per query, that wasn't my intention - I am aiming at having a better shot at being shown for more specific (or just different) queries. The same PLA may be in a very prominent position for some search queries while being almost invisible for slightly different ones. The product feed specification site isn't of much help here either:

If multiple products are on the same page, it has to be straightforward for the user to find the right product. We recommend only one product per page.

"Recommend" most likely simply means in that regard that they suggest not to advertise multiple products on the same page for a customer's convenience (it's more of a hassle to try looking for a particular product on a site if there are several options) - but that doesn't cover the possibility of multiple ads per product.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I usually noticed that the high positions were usually awarded to very specific product-related queries. Queries clearly identifying that product, and not a similar one.

For more general ones, positions were lower. But then again, I was able to compensate, to some extent, by raising the bids for those targets.

Still, you cannot be relevant for any query, right? I mean relevant for everything is close to relevant for nothing, IMHO.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

(1) title should name and included characteristics of the physical item.

yes, call-to-action phrases also violate the policies and are
grounds for disapproval or account suspension at any time.

variant product group.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot, Celebird.

While I was hoping that this wouldn't be the case, at least I have clarity now on that subjetct.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

variant product group.

On second notice, this opens up another question: The question of what counts as a variation and when variations are permissible. The product feed specifications say

If you don't include variant attributes in your feed, you shouldn't submit several variants of the same product as separate listings (ex: the same product in different colors, sizes). [...] You must only include single values for each of these variant attributes and the values of these attributes must be unique across all variants in the group. For example: If one item in a variant group includes the values “Blue” and “L” for the ‘color’ and ‘size’ attributes, all other items in the variant group must have values for ‘color’ and ‘size’, and each offer must have a different combination of values for those attributes.

My problem is that I don't sell apparel, but trade fair equipment (stands, banners etc.), varying in size (usually base area or volume). However, as I read it, the "size" attribute seems to be aimed at clothing size (meaning XS, S, M, L, XL etc.). At least the specifications don't refer to any other possible entry.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
first, you're welcome.

variants are any group of identical products that only differ
by the attributes color, material, pattern, or size -- variants
are not restricted to apparel in any way.

size may be any value that is accurate and appropriate for the type of item;
color is simply the most dominate color (or colors) of the item;
pattern may be a visually different pattern, graphic, or logo;
material is the material an item is made from;
item_group_id is the identical value that tags all items in a group.

e.g.
title,item_group_id,size,color
feather banner,fbp-1,135.5 inches,red/white/blue
feather banner,fbp-1,135.5 inches,green/white/blue
feather banner,fbp-1,135.5 inches,yellow/white/blue
teardrop flag,tdf-2,300 inches wide x 1300 inches high,red
teardrop flag,tdf-2,300 inches wide x 1300 inches high,green
teardrop flag,tdf-2,150 inches wide x 650 inches high,green

submitting multiple variants without the proper variant attributes
and identical item_group_id values for all items within the variant
group is grounds for items to be removed, disapproved, or account
suspension, at any time.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Again, thanks a lot!
However, I am still feeling uncomfortable with one particular aspect:

While it may be permissible to link to one site with different products when all products are clearly presented, how does it work if they aren't? Let's say I have a site exclusively dedicated to one product group and several product feed entries that link to this site. However, only one version of said item group is visible at a time, while others can only be seen by selecting an entry in a popup navigation menu.

To illustrate, check this site: http://codecanyon.net/item/plumshop-a-jquery-shopping-cart/full_screen_preview/427746

The shoe in question can be changed in size and in color, and potentially 16 combinations are available, but there's only one version I can link to, since there are no URL extensions that take other versions into account.

The specification say I don't have to bother about this:

We also recommend you submit URL links that pre-select the variant. For example, if a user selects the red dress in size 10, they should be taken to a landing page, where the “red” and “size 10” options are already selected. If this is not possible, you may include identical link attribute values for each of the variant items within a group.

However, does this also apply to different prices? If multiple differently priced versions of a product exists, then at least some are bound to be priced differently in the feed than on the (immediate) landing page - at least before the user selects the proper product by himself.

Would this count as a violation of the following rule or not?

The price of the item has to be the most prominent price on the landing page. If multiple items are on the same page with multiple prices, it has to be straightforward for the user to find the correct item and corresponding price.

(since I already got rather illogical infractions for minor violations, I am especially cautious when it comes to modifications to the feed)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

simply, the price submitted (in the feed) for an item-offer
must match the displayed price on the link landing-page,

exactly, at all times, for all users.

otherwise, the item-offer (or variant) cannot be submitted.

also, the exact item-offer and price must be straightforward

for the user to locate and purchase on the link landing-page --
typically, this does mean pre-selecting and displaying (only)

the exact item (variant) using url parameters or a separate url;
e.g.
http://www.example.com/products/detail.php?ipad2&id=FC982LL&condition=refurbished&comm=wi-fi3g&size=...

http://www.example.com/product/ipad2/id=FC982LL/condition=refurbished/comm=wi-fi3g/size=16gb/color=w...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC982LL/A/refurbished-ipad-2-with-wi-fi3g-16gb-white-att-2nd-gener...

generally, if there is any question about adhering to the polices, i would
not submit any variant information or any variants, or any landing-page
that might result in an extended disapproval or permanent suspension.

sometimes, submitting only a default variant displayed on the page
or not submitting the item-offer at all, are the most prudent choices.