AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Online Pharmacy certification required - but not an Online Pharmacy!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a client who has been successfully advertising HMRA licensed herbal medicines in the UK for some time. Just recently, they have had many of their ads disapproved due to the terms 'pharma' and 'pharmacy' on their landing pages. Whilst we can easily remove the word 'pharmacy' from their landing page (it says 'also available at Lloyds Pharmacy' by the way....), I've also been told that the problem is with their url which also contains the word 'pharma' - this is their trade name! I've been advised to apply for the online pharmacy certification, despite me pointing out that they are NOT an online pharmacy and they do NOT advertise prescription drugs, so are unlikely to be able to fulfil the necessary criteria to be certified in this way - so I really cant see this being approved. 

What really frustrates me is that they are a legitimate company selling approved herbal medicines that are some of the very few to comply with the UK government’s rigorous standards via the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), as traditional herbal medicinal products. They make NO claims on their site that are not allowed by the MHRA. Yet I am told that the policy team will not back down on this - and yes, I have been told that the site has been reviewed by a 'real person'.....

Apart from them changing their name, anyone got any ideas of a way forward?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Online Pharmacy certification required - but not an Online Pharmac

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Moonlight,

Have you spoken with anyone from the support team at all or tried submitting a policy exception request?

If you haven't done so already then it might be worth filling out that form and seeing what they come back with.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi ScottyD - yes, I have spoken to the support team who have argued with the 'policy team' but to no avail. They are just suggesting I go ahead and apply for the Pharmacy certification..... I will however, try the policy exception request form - you never know!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's definitely worth a go, nothing to lose Smiley Happy

Let us know how you get on!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Even if you change your name, it wont make any difference.

I am in the same boat. My company sells drug testing kits www.DrugTestingKits.co.uk and I have been told I cannot advertise without an online pharmacy licence. I have been everywhere on Google, support, adwords, etc to try and explain that we do not sell any medicines, but that is their rules. Our kits are saliva swabs, or urine swabs. Simple really.

If anyone knows anyway around this, apart from doing a pharmacy certificate course (which I am now applying for),