AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

On an ad, does the display Url and the destination Url have to go to the same website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A customer of mine wants me to do PPC advertising for his senior health care business. He originally had a website and his own Url. However, he bought into a bigger business and they told him that he had to redirect his website's Url to their own website.

He still owns his own website, it's just that the Url to the homepage is redirected to the bigger business's website.

Now, on Google Adwords, he wants me to use his original Url as the display Url and an actual page on his original website as the destination Url. From an appearance standpoint, this looks fine...the display Url would show seniorcare(dot)com and the destination Url would take them to seniorcare(dot)com/dementia...and, this would be his website and the page that he wants them to go to. But, if while on this page if a visitor were to click on the "Home" button, it would take them to a completely different website.

Would this be a violation of Google Adwords policy?

If so, could I use seniorcare(dot)com/dementia as the display Url and seniorcare(dot)com/dementia as the destination Url?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: On an ad, does the display Url and the destination Url have to go to the same website?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello jhoecannon;

I checked your landing page;

Let's explain:

• The destination URL MUST match the display URL.
  • The destination URL is the final landing page (where the user "lands" after all redirects)..
  • Technically, what you did is setting an "intermediate" / a doorway page that its whole goal is to "direct traffic" to another website. It does comply with the destination URL requirement, BUT, this page has no content . This type of pages is called a "bridge pages" (" A bridge page, also known as a doorway page, is a web page created for the main purpose of sending visitors to a different site. Bridge pages offer little or no unique content and are considered low value to users")

Bridging in NOT allowed by the Policy. By doing that you are violating the policy, and put the account at risk of being suspended.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: On an ad, does the display Url and the destination Url have to go to the same website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV,

The Url's that I created for the question I asked were just made up...I didn't know they existed.

No...let's say my display Url is SeniorCareColumbia(dot)com and my landing page was SeniorCareColumbia(dot)com/assisted-living...will that work? These are the actual Url's I would use in the ad.

Please note...the display Url SeniorCareColumbia(dot)com will redirect you to another website if you were to copy it from the ad and post in another window and click on it.

So, if I use these two Url's, would that be a violation?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The destination url is the one which Google monitors for plicy violations.

The display url must have the domain and the extension - so SeniorCareColumbia.com - must appear, but then after the com you can add anything you want (within the charachter limit) so... .com/Retirement would be OK.

Provided the destination url doesn't redirect i.e. goes to the .com/assisted-living - that shouldbe fine.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You are not clear whether you use redirects or not...

Anyway, The rule is simple  with no "workaround" : The landing page URL (you type in the destination URL field) is the landing page after all redirects.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MoscheTLV and stickleback,

Thanks for both of your inputs...if I'm interpreting the two of you correctly, I would not be violating Google Adwords policy if I do use SeniorCareColumbia(dot)com as the display Url and SeniorCareColumbia(dot)com/assisted-living as the destination Url.

The destnation Url, SeniorCareColumbia(dot)com/assisted-living, would be exactly what I would type into the destination Url and it would be exactly the page the visitors would go to...there are no redirects on the destination Url...only the display Url has a redirect.

Do we all agree with this?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Quote:

>>" Url and it would be exactly the page the visitors would go to...there are no redirects on the destination Url...only the display Url has a redirect."

Will this page have a content? Will it be the home page of the site? Or will it serve as  a bridge page? Because currently it is a bridge page...(Quoting from your first question: " But, if while on this page if a visitor were to click on the "Home" button, it would take them to a completely different website" )

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

As far as I can see the page has content - and there is other content on the same domain that is reachable through the menu items.

However, if you click on the logo (there is no home menu item as such) you are taken to another domain. Whether Google class this as a bridge page or not is debateable. There is not automatic redirect and there are navigable options within the domain - surely that would be OK... there is no reason why a link - that has to be clicked - should not go to another page. The only dubious issue here is that the link is posing as the site's logo and one would be right to assume that this would take you to the home page - which it doesn't.