AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Old campaign was automatically enabled without my confirmation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an old campaign on my adwords account which was created back on "Apr 21, 2011". I haven't used my account in over 5 years and only logged back into the account a week or two ago to "re-activate" the account so that I can create a new campaign for a new business of mine.

Only the other day, I realised that the old campaign had switched itself back on without me confirming or approving it to do so. Luckily, I stopped it with only "A$21.84" being spent.

Is this something that came on automatically because it wasn't deleted years ago? I'm a little annoyed that it just came on and started billing as the campaign was for a business that theoretically still has a website but is now a side business, meaning I didn't want to be spending any advertising dollars on this whatsoever.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John S
July 2016

Re: Old campaign was automatically enabled without my confirmation

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi John,

After you paused the campaign on July 14, it has not accrued any clicks in the period July 15 - 18 which indicates it is currently not active.

The real question is what happened on July 5 when the campaign suddenly started to accrue clicks. Chances are you did not disable the campaign back in 2011, however, it became inactive for a number of years, due to lack of funds. I assume you EITHER made a payment when you logged back into the account early July to "re-activate" the account OR you simultaneously received credit from Google due to invalid activity on your ads by users WHICH made the campaign run again and accrue stats.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi John,

Please look at change history report. You can see the list of changes that were made in your account in last 2 years. You can also see about the user who has enabled your campaign.

Regards,
Ujjwal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ujjwal, thanks for your reply.
I've had a look at the change history, the only "change" that has been made was on the 14th of July (by me) which was "1 campaign paused - Status changed from active to paused"  (See image attached).

I still don't understand how it was activated when no one actually clicked "Enabled"??

screenshot.jpg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John S
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi John,

After you paused the campaign on July 14, it has not accrued any clicks in the period July 15 - 18 which indicates it is currently not active.

The real question is what happened on July 5 when the campaign suddenly started to accrue clicks. Chances are you did not disable the campaign back in 2011, however, it became inactive for a number of years, due to lack of funds. I assume you EITHER made a payment when you logged back into the account early July to "re-activate" the account OR you simultaneously received credit from Google due to invalid activity on your ads by users WHICH made the campaign run again and accrue stats.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

Thanks for your reply. That would make sense.
I might have deactivated the payment method before I left the account inactive for several years.
The one thing I "DO" remember doing is adding a payment method to this account when I logged back in at the start of July... which would then make sense!

Payment method added > campaign automatically comes back to life!

Thanks again - I just wanted to understand what the heck was going on as I didn't want to be worrying about campaigns magically starting up again once they're closed.

Cheers,
John