AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Old campaign was automatically enabled without my confirmation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an old campaign on my adwords account which was created back on "Apr 21, 2011". I haven't used my account in over 5 years and only logged back into the account a week or two ago to "re-activate" the account so that I can create a new campaign for a new business of mine.

Only the other day, I realised that the old campaign had switched itself back on without me confirming or approving it to do so. Luckily, I stopped it with only "A$21.84" being spent.

Is this something that came on automatically because it wasn't deleted years ago? I'm a little annoyed that it just came on and started billing as the campaign was for a business that theoretically still has a website but is now a side business, meaning I didn't want to be spending any advertising dollars on this whatsoever.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Old campaign was automatically enabled without my confirmation

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi John,

Please look at change history report. You can see the list of changes that were made in your account in last 2 years. You can also see about the user who has enabled your campaign.

Regards,
Ujjwal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ujjwal, thanks for your reply.
I've had a look at the change history, the only "change" that has been made was on the 14th of July (by me) which was "1 campaign paused - Status changed from active to paused"  (See image attached).

I still don't understand how it was activated when no one actually clicked "Enabled"??

screenshot.jpg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John S
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi John,

After you paused the campaign on July 14, it has not accrued any clicks in the period July 15 - 18 which indicates it is currently not active.

The real question is what happened on July 5 when the campaign suddenly started to accrue clicks. Chances are you did not disable the campaign back in 2011, however, it became inactive for a number of years, due to lack of funds. I assume you EITHER made a payment when you logged back into the account early July to "re-activate" the account OR you simultaneously received credit from Google due to invalid activity on your ads by users WHICH made the campaign run again and accrue stats.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

Thanks for your reply. That would make sense.
I might have deactivated the payment method before I left the account inactive for several years.
The one thing I "DO" remember doing is adding a payment method to this account when I logged back in at the start of July... which would then make sense!

Payment method added > campaign automatically comes back to life!

Thanks again - I just wanted to understand what the heck was going on as I didn't want to be worrying about campaigns magically starting up again once they're closed.

Cheers,
John