AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Non-Psychologists' ads appear when Googling "Psychologist"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a licensed psychologist in CA and have an adwords campaign running.  If one Googles "psychiatrist" only psychiatrists show up.  If you Google "marital & family therapist" only MFTs show up.  If you Google "social worker" only social workers (LCSW) show up.  BUT, if you Google "psychologist" all sorts of folks who are NOT licensed psychologists show up!  Social workers (LCSW) ads appear.  Marital counselors (MFT) ads appear.  Even psychiatrist (MD) ads appear!  Why is this?  If I am paying every month to run an ad as a PSYCHOLOGIST, why is my ad diluted (it rarely shows up because so many of these other professionals ads compete with my ad) while I still pay the same monthly fee as an MFT, LCSW or MD?  On the other hand, how come my ad will not appear when one searches under the other professionals titles?  In California, it is improper to advertise oneself as a psychologist unless one has a license as a psychologist.  Is Google Adwords possibly inadvertently pushing non-psychologists' ads into a search error category that could perhaps be deemed as improper?  I do not know, but I do know that I am not pleased that a potential patient searching for a licensed psychologist often ends up seeing ads being placed by people who do not possess a license as a psychologist.  I don't think this is their fault.  I am guessing that it is caused by some error in Google's programming of ad word searches and needs to be corrected.  Perhaps the word "psychotherapy" (a procedure used by psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and marital and family therapists) is not adequately separated from the word "psychologist"?  I don't know, but I hope AdWords will do something to correct this error.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Non-Psychologists' ads appear when Googling "Psychologist&quo

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Well...I do understand the frustration...I'll try to explain how Adwords ranking systems work;

Adwords does not match the ads into categories. They are matched to keywords. Once a keyword is marched to a search query -  an ad ("associated" with the keyword) gets into a auction and  is ranked;

How relevant the  keyword to the business is evaluated / rated  using the Quality Score; The lower the QS the higher the price advertiser will pay to get the ad shown.

It could be that your competitors are willing to pay higher, to have their ad shown (for a given keyword) though it is less relevant   (i.e have a lower QS);.

To conclude;  I would work on improving (your) QS, and if already high (lets say above 7), then you'll might want to consider a higher bid  (to get  your ad  bigger chance of winning a higher position in an auction)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the info Moshe. However, your statement that "It could be that your competitors are willing to pay higher, to have their ad shown (for a given keyword) though it is less relevant (i.e have a lower QS)" concerns me. If I understand your comment, this would seem to indicate that MFTs, LCSWs, MDs, etc are paying to have the word "psychologist" as a keyword even though they are not licensed as psychologists? This would be even worse since it would mean that their ads' appearances in searches for "psychologist" are not inadvertent and caused by some warp in the Google system but done by them on purpose. I find this both hard to believe and disturbing. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but re-reading that sentence from your reply seems to indicate this conclusion. Please advise.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Bruce;

You are absolutely correct;

However; we do need to remember that advertisers, adverting their business, using AdWords are subject to Google's  Advertising Policy. (Our assumption on this community is that all advertisers fully comply with the Policy. Run a search for "advertisers suspended", and you'll find dozens of cases of accounts suspended due to Policy violation)

Back to your  case: Since a psychologist has to be registered and certified within the state / country in which he / she practices psychology, then; showing ads, by psychologists who are not certified according to local / state / government regulations - is a violation of  user safety section of Google's the advertising Policy; (see below)

If this were the case,  those advertisers could be reported to Goggle, and they would be (instantly) banned,

Quoting the policy:

• Make sure that your sites display any relevant disclaimers or announcements that may be required by local law. For example, certain types of financial service providers may need to include specific text per governmental regulations.

I hope I was able to clarify the issue.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Non-Psychologists' ads appear when Googling "Psychologist

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you again! I am prepared to report this, but I do not know to whom
to report this or the proper email address to forward such a complaint.
Any ideas would be appreciated as well. Regards, Bruce

Re: Non-Psychologists' ads appear when Googling "Psychologist

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Here you are ; The first item in the following link ("Use this for: Ads on Google that you believe might violate our advertising policies.")
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en